Stout Carbonation Level?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlyd

Reaction score
I have just brewed a chocolate oatmeal stout that I plan on kegging. I have a new stout faucet and G-Gas set up that I plant to use to serve with. My question is.... I plan to force carbonate with co2 and serve with G-Gas. Should I under carbonate my beer accounting for the carbonation that will be added from the G-Gas? Also what is a good level to carbonate at 2.0?

What is "G-gas?"

Like Fly, I go on the very low side of carbing around 1.4-1.5 and then push with about 20 PSI.

Beer Gas or G-Gas I have heard it both way's is a mixture of co2 and nitrogen. G- Gas is short for Guinness gas, or so I’m told. Because the nitrogen will not dissolve easy in beer this is gives Guinness that big thick frothy head.

I've only heard "beer gas", never G-gas, until today.

So anyway, because the beer gas is 75-25 on my setup I can carb at 5 psi and then push at 20 psi with no additional carbing occurring from the co2 in the beer gas. I do use co2 only to force carb.

Back