Label Glue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeizGuy

Reaction score
Hello all, I did a quick check using the search tool and didn't find any threads that stood out on label glue. Key being something that stick decently to a bottle holds up well when the bottle sweats, but washes off easily when it's time to toss back in a case for another brew.

Thanks in advance.

I've been using a glue stick lately. I'm not sure how easily the lables will come off though. Milk didn't work great for me, but it's possible I was doing it wrong. If I put too much on it would make the ink bleed (inkjet printer) If I put too little on the lables would come off the bottle.

Milk Milk Milk

If you want it to stick just 'a little bit better' put a dash of corn starch in it.
Brush it on...Your golden

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to give the milk a try and see how that works. Will fall back on a glue stick if I don't get enough adhesion.

I only use milk on mine. However, I print on a heavier paper and print on our big laser printer at my office so I don't have the bleeding problems as seen by some with ink jet printers.

I use only milk as well, the key is to use laserjet printing, since there is nothing to bleed. Toner vs ink.

Milk just be sure to use heavier paper and not inkjet ink. I go to the copy store and they do it automatically.

I've heard that a light coat or two of clear paint can help the inkjet stop bleeding. But I have a color laser at work, so I'd use that. You might be able to get some color copies run off at a printing outfit for a few dollars too if you don't have access to a color laser.

But milk seems to be common agent. Just brush some whole milk on the back and place on the bottle. Let dry.

I use 3M spray adhesive. Holds better than milk, and comes off easily with hot water and Oxyclean.

Used dilute PVA
Used glue stick
Used MILK

my favorite by far is milk. I used laser printed labels, cut on a paper cutter, put some milk in a saucer and glue away. The mild holds fast under normal use but soaked in water for 15 min just peels off and a quick wipe of the bottle with a towel or sponge and the residue is gone.

I use milk or soy milk... you can add some corn starch to get more stickiness... but I find that it usually gets more messy that way and the milk is sufficient.

So.... milk? Like milk you buy at the grocery store? 2%/whole/skim? Does it matter? Do you have to prepare it in any way?

I have not tried it, but what I hear is you just brush the milk on the back and slap the label on the bottle. I would be skeptical too, except I've heard SOOOO many people swear by it, that it must be true.

Of course, you can't stick them in the cooler without the label falling off, and you'd want to waterproof the label, but you'd have to do that anyway.

Yup, when I bottle I use milk. I use 2% but I don't think it matters. You just brush a light coat on and stick it to the bottle.
The milk evaporates and leaves behind proteins that adhere to the paper and bottle. Works great!

I've tried 2% and whole. I think whole is better. Just buy a small 99 cent one at the store and pour some over a sponge on a saucer plate. I wet the label on the sponge, put it on, and then use the sponge to wipe down the sides of the label to seal it to the bottle. I found that if the label is going to peel back, it does it near the corner edges. Works great and comes off very easily after use.

I've been using milk and it works great. I just dunk the whole label in a bowl of milk, shake off some of the excess and slap it on the bottle.

After some experimenting, I've found that using powdered milk makes the label easier to remove. It's also nice since you can just make small quantities as needed.

Back