D'OH - Broken carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubadour

Reaction score
I knocked over a glass carboy while waiting for my boil to finish -- already sanitized and everything, ready for racking. I usually primary in a bucket, but it's being used.

Luckily, I have a small horde of carboys, otherwise my batch and I would've been SOL.

Moral of the story: Have extra carboys ...And a big dust pan; those things make a huge mess.

Yeah recently picked up two better bottles and after using them a couple brews, I think I'll be phasing out the glass.

I'm getting the feeling better-bottle fans are like Mac fans or Yankees fans...

Please expatiate...I don't follow the national pastime, but I'm typing this on my MacBook, so I'm keen to know how this relates to the fact that I have two Better Bottles in my basement.

This is :off: , I suppose, but what the heck!

Please expatiate...I don't follow the national pastime, but I'm typing this on my MacBook, so I'm keen to know how this relates to the fact that I have two Better Bottles in my basement.

This is :off: , I suppose, but what the heck!

I could be wrong, but since the Mac has a small market share, I'd assume that the Yankees do to. So I would also assume that the Better Bottles are in the same boat. The fans of small market share products seem to evangelize their favorite products.

BTW, I'm typing this on my MacBook Pro while wearing my Red Sox T-shirt. Yankees suck...

I could be wrong, but since the Mac has a small market share, I'd assume that the Yankees do to. So I would also assume that the Better Bottles are in the same boat. The fans of small market share products seem to evangelize their favorite products.

BTW, I'm typing this on my MacBook Pro while wearing my Red Sox T-shirt. Yankees suck...

Nope, this doesn't do it for me...I've purchased the two Better Bottles to supplement the two glass carboys that came with my kit. Main issues: ease of handling / cleaning, and safety. I own a Mac because I'm more interested in using my computer to do something than fiddling with it. This should not be construed as an evangelization of either the carboys or the computers. :)

I guess you aren't a fan of either then. It's the fans that do the evangelization while some people, like you and me, use the products because we see the benefits. I haven't tried the Better Bottles, but I may if I ever break one of my carboys. And I own a Mac for the same reason as you.

I am new to home brewing so I am not sure what Better Bottles are. Oh, I am typing this on my Mac Book Pro.

Up next: Orange Honey Wheat
Primary: IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout
Drinking: Pale Ale

De`ja`-Brew
We have all been beer before.

I knocked over a glass carboy while waiting for my boil to finish -- already sanitized and everything, ready for racking. I usually primary in a bucket, but it's being used.

Luckily, I have a small horde of carboys, otherwise my batch and I would've been SOL.

Moral of the story: Have extra carboys ...And a big dust pan; those things make a huge mess.

How bad did it shatter? I have heard stories of these things near exploding and causing hospital visits.

How bad did it shatter? I have heard stories of these things near exploding and causing hospital visits.

It wasn't too terrible b/c it was on the ground when I ran into it with my knee and knocked it over (kinda hurt), so it didn't fall off a table or anything. This carboy had a big "spring water" sticker on it, so that held a big chunk of it together. The entire bottom stayed in tact as did the very top, but the middle shattered and made a lot of really small pieces of glass.

I can see how, if it were to fall off a table, it would probably explode and shoot glass everywhere.

Back