Great Dane's Crop Circle Wheat - anyone know?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
The Great Dane is a brew pub in my town of Madison, WI. They have a Crop Circle Wheat on tap that SWAMBO would love if I could emulate. I realize this is completely random, but has anyone tried it or seen a clone or close to?
Much obliged. :tank:

Cool. I don't have access to my recipe until later today - so i'll get you more specifics then. But for now, i can tell you i used WY3068 Weihenstephan Weizen, around 6+lbs weizen DME, about 0.5lb carapils, and 1lb of vienna or munich. Lightly hopped with Hallertau - but it's the 3068 that is KEY in matching the flavor of the Crop Circle.

Like i said, i'll get you the specifics later, when i have access to my beloved BeerSmith.

I used Wyeast 3068 in a beer I made, interesting flavors from that yeast. I actually like it quite a bit.

Not sure if this interests you or not.........

but if it does I can post my recipe for their Old Glory Pale Ale in the recipe database on here. I think I've got it pretty damn close.

You know what, plugging this into BeerSmith I'm getting an IBU of 20. Any ideas why? I set my boil vol to 2.5, late addition for the DME, and set the AA to 4.2% for the Hallertauer. So I'm not sure what that's about.
Also, anyone have any thoughts on how to convert this to AG?

My BeerSmith gave me the 8IBU. Other calculators (Tinseth) i just tried gave me around 8IBU as well. I'll look into the BeerSmith thing later and try to replicate what you're getting...

As far as all grain, since that depends on your setup (efficiency), just use BeerSmith and your typical efficiency to crunch the numbers and determing how much wheat & pale to hit the SG of 1.053-ish. Bear in mind the wheat DME is 60/40 wheat/pale. Here's a good little extract/AG knowledge bomb:
http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

Then, determine if you want it a little more "malty" and "mouthfeel-y" and mash higher (156F), or if you want it a little drier and mash lower (152F).

I'm still getting 14.5 IBU with an AG conversion. Weird. I tweaked it around a bit to get the numbers where they should be, but here's what I came up with:

OG 1.052
FG 1.013
IBU 10.8
SRM 4.5
Boil time 60
Batch size 5.3 gallons

6# German Wheat Malt
4# Pale Malt, 2-row, Belgium
4 oz cara-pils
4 oz Munich
0.75 oz Hallertauer
Wyeast 3068

Mash @ 156 for 60 min
EDIT: efficiency set to 70%

Bigger boil volume yields better hop utilization. That's why you're getting a larger IBU value. Otherwise, looks good, guy.

Assuming you're using 5.3gal as your boil volume, and 5gal as the final volume, I'm getting 14.5IBU also; so everything checks out in that respect. If I were going AG on this, I'd be using a boil of around 6+gal and ending around 5.5gal for an absolute final finished beer volume of about 5gal - with losses due to breaks, trub, transfer, etc. With those numbers, I would get around 13.8IBU, so even scaling the Hallertauer down to 0.5oz (due to better utilization from bigger boil volume) to give 7IBU could work, too.

I'd be impressed if someone can use their tounge to tell the difference between 8IBU and 14IBU in a brew with 3068. But you've got the right idea - just tweak everything to hit approximately what you're shooting for.

5.3 is the final, 7.5 is the boil on mine (but with my system I do a split batch, so I boil 5.5 and 2 usually, putting the hops in the 5 gal boil). As for the IBU diff, I know about utilization, which is why I was even more surprised the extract version came out with 20 IBU on a 2.5 gal boil. Whatever, I'll be giving this AG version a go in early June and let you know how it turns out.

Their oatmeal stout is probably a pretty standard oatmeal stout recipe, but has anyone tried cloning it?

Alright, today is the day I took my first schwill off the tap. Everything went pretty well, OG of 1.052, FG of 1.011 (so a bit lower than expected FG of 1.013). I mashed at 154 for an hour. It's pretty light and crisp, great aroma, a little tart. I'm looking forward to getting a growler from the Dane this weekend and trying it side by side. Thanks for the recipe cactusgarrett!

Back