Nuts for dryhopping weights -- material matters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakerStreetBeers

Reaction score
Based on something I read on this board (posted I believe by no less than Ed Wort), I picked up four 3/4 nuts at the hardware store today to weigh down my hop bag when I go to dry hop my IPA. I think Ed mentioned stainless steel, but I saw no such animal on the shelves -- maybe they keep them in a locked case somewhere, I don't know. I picked up these fatties when I saw them thinking maybe the stainless thing is just an upgrade, not a requirement. Now I am doubting. Will something bad happen? I'm not sure what they are made of, galvanized steel?

I'm doing an experiment in a small glass with one nut and a couple ounces of Arrogant Bastard (chosen for its self-announcing aggressiveness). But likely if there will be problems, I won't see them before I was hoping to rack this beer tomorrow evening. I have high hopes for this beer as do a couple of friends who helped me brew it. I cannot and will not risk ruining it. So I am hoping the HBT crew can shed some light.

While I'm on the topic: The beer has been in primary for 12 days and is fully fermented. My plan was to rack direct to a corny with the weighted hop bag, purge with CO2 and let it sit for a week. Next weekend, I figured I would force carb and start sampling for hop aroma/flavor. My intent is to leave the hop bag in the keg throughout the beer's "tour of duty" so that the hoppiness will continue to increase as long as the beer level is such that there is contact with the hop bag. Any insight on whether this is a good/bad plan would also be appreciated, but I mostly want to know about my non-stainless nuts.

Plain steel is going to rust in wort in like 24 hours. Don't do it. If you've converted any sankes to kettles, the ball bearing in the valve makes an awesome weight. If not, you can lso hold the bag say midway down the keg's dip tube somehow. An extra oring or stainless wire would work.

Stainless is of two ways to go. The other is to use glass marbles. Both are easy to santizes.

You want to get that galvanized stuff out of there ASAP. Someone will chime in why, but I'm pretty sure it is bad.

BakerStreetBeers said:
I think Ed mentioned stainless steel, but I saw no such animal on the shelves -- maybe they keep them in a locked case somewhere, I don't know.

At Lowe's & Home Depot, you will find them in drawers in the fastener section. If you go to your local hardware store, you can just tell them what you want and they'll get it for you.

Bobby and Ed. Thanks for the warnings. Nuts are not in the batch yet, just one in a couple ounces for a test. Guess I will leave it so I can witness the corrosion. Might have to take some pictures and post them as a warning.

Hmmmm, wonder if I can find my old bag o marbles.

Again, thanks from myself, my beer and my drinking/brewing buddies.

I got marbles at a Michael's locally. I see you have one in Petaluma. Just don't underestimate how many you will need. You would be amazed at how much displacement 2 ounces of fully saturated leaf hops has.

also don't forget that glass can float... I would use SS ball bearings... You can get them from mcmaster.

Back