How do I compensate for low OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My last couple of batches ended up with an OG about 10pts. lower than the expected OG. I'm new & sure it's due to the poor efficiencies of my brewing process which I intend to improve with each new batch.

That being said, I read in here that some people use some additional DME to compensate for a lower than expected OG.

How exactly does one go about this? When does the additional DME get added? I usually don't take my gravity reading until the wort has cooled. So do you run a separate mini-boil on the side, then let that cool, add to the existing wort, then mix well & take another gravity reading?

Are you doing extract brewing or AG? If you're doing extract brewing the only way your DME could be off by that much is if you added too much top up water. There is a set amount of sugar in the extract and you can't boil it off.

Most likely you didn't fully stir your top up water and wort so you got an inconsistent sample.

Oh and since I didn't answer your actual question, 1lbs of DME in 5G of wort will yield approximately 1.009 SG. So if you're 0.010 lower than your target you can add 1lbs to bring it up. You would do this normally before your boil in AG brewing since you would be taking a pre-boil gravity if you weren't sure about your efficiency.

However if you're an extract brewer, 9/10 times it is a problem with not having mixed the wort and top-up water thoroughly enough.

I'd assume the wort was mixed enough prior to the sample because I aerate by shaking the 6.5 gallon carboy vigorously for about 5 min. before taking the sample.

I do partial mashes & full boils. I think my poor control over mash/steep temp., along with adding water to maintain 5.5 gallons in the boil kettle are to blame for the 10 pt. losses. There are probably more things I don't do right either so each new batch is an experiment for me.

If you want I can write up my last brew day process, but for now I'm wondering how I can compensate for my missteps after they occur. Next time I'm 10 pts. low I'll just add a lb. of DME. I guess I'd do this on the side since my gravity is read after the wort has cooled & has been transferred into the primary 6.5 g carboy?

Soperbrew said:
I'd assume the wort was mixed enough prior to the sample because I aerate by shaking the 6.5 gallon carboy vigorously for about 5 min. before taking the sample.

I do partial mashes & full boils. I think my poor control over mash/steep temp., along with adding water to maintain 5.5 gallons in the boil kettle are to blame for the 10 pt. losses. There are probably more things I don't do right either so each new batch is an experiment for me.

If you want I can write up my last brew day process, but for now I'm wondering how I can compensate for my missteps after they occur. Next time I'm 10 pts. low I'll just add a lb. of DME. I guess I'd do this on the side since my gravity is read after the wort has cooled & has been transferred into the primary 6.5 g carboy?

Well, are you mashing or steeping? They're two different things.

I think it's mashing, but I get confused because some of the grains in the muslin bag do not require mashing.

4 lbs. of various grains in 2.5 gallons of water at 155F for 45 min.

Pull bag out, let drain, & rinse with 1 gallon of 170F water. Then add about 20% of the LME & enough water to get 6 gallons, then boil....etc. etc. etc. Should I continue?

Back