My skeeter pee fermentation time line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvery37

Reaction score
I recently tried making my first batch of skeeter pee and I couldnt find a lot of specifics on how long it took to get to various gravities and overall time line so here is mine. I did rush this as I am trying to get it ready for a wedding.

I followed the recipe but I didnt let must sit for 24-48 hours. I made a starter using apple juice and 2 packets of lalvin EC-1118. I dropped two packets into about 8 ounces of apple juice and let it rehydrate for 20 minutes. Then I shook the bottle and waited until it was fermenting vigorously, about 1 hour. I then added a cup of the must to the yeast and waited until it was fermenting vigorously again, about an hour. I repeated this 3-4 times. The process for the yeast doesnt have to be perfect. The idea is to let the yest start fermenting and whenever it is going strong add a little bit of the must to get it used to the acidity. In the evening I added half of the starter to the must and replaced the liquid in the starter with must. The next morning fermentation was going strong and I added the remainder of the starter. I fermented around 75 degrees and injected O2 3 times.

Here are my approximate gravities

1.060 after 17 hrs
1.050 after 40 hrs (remainder of lemon juice and yeast fuel/energizer added)
1.000 after 3 days
finished at .997

Racked to a carboy after 3 days, sparkolloid, kmeta, and sorbate added. It was clear after 3 days although I could see some very small stuff still in suspension.

After 10 days from the start and 3 days after racking to the carboy I racked to a keg and backsweetend.

This isnt the ideal timeline but it gives an idea on fermentation. It tastes great and is clear. While it may get a little better with time I cant taste anything that needs to fade out.

I have started a new batch and racked this onto the yeast cake of the first batch. It was fermenting within 30 minutes.

IMG_20130320_103744.jpg

I wanted to add. Someone asked me what it tastes like:

If a unicorn took a piss and then some yeast fell off the wings of a fairy and fermented it, the result would be skeeter pee.

Hahahaha I have to use that some time.

My first skeeter pee batch now smells like rubber. I followed the recipe exactly until it hit 1.000 when I siphoned it into a glass carboy.
Then I forget about stabilizing it and let it sit for 2 weeks before degassing it and now notice the dreaded rubber smell.
Ahhhh dammit! I'm used to letting my beers sit like this but I think it must be detrimental to wine huh? The recipe says to stabilize it as soon as it hits your target gravity right?
So... now what? I'm thinking stabilize as I should have 2 weeks ago and just let it sit and see what happens.

If a unicorn took a piss and then some yeast fell off the wings of a fairy and fermented it, the result would be skeeter pee.

I tried a batch of this and a batch of the Hard lemonade and I have to say I thought the hard lemonade was much better. If you have not tried both give the other a try. I back sweetened both to taste and on the lemonade version I used additional concentrate with some sugar.

Back