Priming in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I just bought 4 kegs (first kegs for me) and I have a pumpkin ale that is ready to go. But the problem is that I don't have a CO2 tank and regulator. I might be able to keg a good deal on these locally so it is worth my while to wait (1.5 weeks max).

So I was thinking of just priming in the keg (I would like to free the better bottle for apfelwein). I have the beer cold (35F) right now, so I was thinking of racking it into a cold keg with the priming sugar and then letting it warm up to room temperature, the release of the CO2 would put it under some pressure to seal it well and by the time I get my tank I will have carbonated and conditioned beer ready to drink. Any problems with this?

Or I could just wait.:cross:

It may just be me, but I have trouble getting the keg to seal with a gradual build-up of CO2. I find it works better if I apply a charge of CO2 to start with and kind of "wiggle" the cover to get it to seal.

Don't prime them. I have completely different flavors (yeasty) between kegs I've primed and force carb'd.

Get the beer into kegs and seal up and set aside. Let the then age a bit until you get some CO2.

Trust me on this. Your beer will taste better if you don't get a bunch of additional yeast stirred up with a "prime".

Yeah, good point. I guess I never considered putting it in the keg without priming.

I will probably do this. Thanks.

BierMuncher said:
Don't prime them. I have completely different flavors (yeasty) between kegs I've primed and force carb'd.

Get the beer into kegs and seal up and set aside. Let the then age a bit until you get some CO2.

Trust me on this. Your beer will taste better if you don't get a bunch of additional yeast stirred up with a "prime".

Do you normally age your kegged beer in the keg at room temp? Do you put a little CO2 and vent the O2 and then set them aside for a week or two?

I'm in the same boat with Beerrific as I just got a kegging system and i haven't got my CO2 tank filled yet. My Sierra nevada clone is still in the primary so I have some time.

Thanks
Al

I age at room temp, and I do put a little CO2, vent, CO2, vent, just so I can feel like I've purged the normal air inside. But I'm also careful about handling, and when I do force carb, I just set it at 12psi, chill, and wait about a week.

nice n slow

Back