I guess I'm a drug dealer now?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee, I just thought it was common sense to be friendly with people who might shoot you if they don't like you. Besides which, you have some cops over for beer & burgers and they probably will look the other way next time they catch you speeding or blowing through a stop sign, etc.

Who said anything about not being friendly? Besides, if a cop is going to shoot me because they "don't like" me, then I may not want to have them over for beer and burgers. ;)

The wording of the post I quoted made it seem like I have to take extra steps to not be hassled by the police. That shouldn't be the case. If an officer came to my door to ask what I was doing with all the equipment, I'd tell him. But, should I really have to do more than that to keep from being searched?

So, one is expected to essentially buy good service from cops? I thought our tax dollars already did that. I'll be personable with officers in social situations. But, when they're on the clock, I shouldn't have to feel like I need to suck up to them to not be hassled for doing something legal.

No, I'm not saying that you have to "buy good service" from cops. It's more like catching flies - would you catch more with honey, or with vinegar?

No, I'm not saying that you have to "buy good service" from cops. It's more like catching flies - would you catch more with honey, or with vinegar?

What am I trying to catch? If it's getting out of a speeding ticket at a later date, sure. I'd consider that good incentive for inviting over an officer. If it's not getting hassled for doing something legal or a quick response when I report a crime, I think my tax dollars are enough.

That being said, I deal with the police on occasion for work and I value a good professional relationship.

Yeah, getting out of a speeding ticket is a good benefit, but so is having the police dept on your side when someone calls the cops on you for brewing "meth". If they know you brew beer, and get a call from someone who thinks you have a meth lab in your garage, they'll know what you're doing is perfectly legal, and most likely tell the caller that.

What am I trying to catch? If it's getting out of a speeding ticket at a later date, sure. I'd consider that good incentive for inviting over an officer. If it's not getting hassled for doing something legal or a quick response when I report a crime, I think my tax dollars are enough.

That being said, I deal with the police on occasion for work and I value a good professional relationship.

I would put it another way. The OP already knows he has nosy neighbors that think he's making drugs. If you are *proactive* about things, you can invite the police over and get them on your side before they show up unexpectedly one day with a search warrant and tear your house apart looking for drug paraphernalia, possibly when you are not even there to help explain/diffuse the situation.

Of course the same is true of the nosy neighbor, too. But in either case, it is more about setting expectations and getting people in a frame of mind that is on your side before they interact with you on a formal basis.

It's all moot anyway. My neighbors know what I'm doing and don't think I'm stupid enough to cook meth outside. But, should the police ask, I would just tell them what's going on.

Let me put it this way, not a one of us know all the codes and laws (probably not even the cops, which the NYPD proves every time they arrest a topless woman in Times Square, but I'm just bitter that people are messing with topless women.)

I would personally rather a cop I knew tell me (assuming I lived in the burbs) "hey James, that kettle really is too close to the house, lets get that out here a couple feet further, ok?" (or whatever) rather than just a ticket and a fine from someone who didnt know me from Adam.

Might not be a good idea to get to know the cops TOO well. For instance when they start hinting that your odds of getting a traffic ticket are likely to go up if your brew them a nice American Wheat soon...

Might not be a good idea to get to know the cops TOO well. For instance when they start hinting that your odds of getting a traffic ticket are likely to go up if your brew them a nice American Wheat soon...

It's at this point that you need to be inviting judges over. Or, hell, why stop there? Contact your local Congressional Representative.

There has been lots of fun poked around here, but be the good neighbor and make sure they understand what you are doing and do it now. As time goes by, things can only get worse to the point that the neighborhood kids will not be allowed to play with your kids etc. Be neighborly, be proactive, but make sure that you get the rumors stopped.

The OP said he tried to talk to them and the scuttled back inside to the safety of their home without wanting to hear him out. They are fools and don't sound like anyone I would want my (non-existant) kids to be influenced by. I feel bad if they have children and are raising them to be so paranoid, quick to judge, and close minded.

Sounds like the cops know these neighbors are kooks. I'll bet the rest of the neighborhood knows they're kooks too.

That's exactly what I am planning with my neighbors. I just started brewing this year, but have always had problems with the coming out to stare at us every time we are in the backyard playing or swimming in the pool. Tried the neighborly thing with them the first couple years, inviting them over etc. But after a while stuff like them telling us the cherries on our tree belong to everyone since it is in the front and them intentionally walking their dog to our roses to urinate we kinda gave up on that. Can't imagine what they'll do when I start brewing outside this summer.

Put up no trespassing signs and then press charges when they are on the property they will stop taking the cherries. get video of you asking them to stay off the property and stop taking your produce. Give the video to the officer taking the report. Be ready to go to court. You will have to testify and they will have to get a law dog unless they qualify to have a public defendant. Either way it will cost them more then the Cherries would have.

It is best to encourage such suspicions by wearing ski masks while brewing, and if possible chemical masks.

If that doesn't work to arouse the adequate level of humor. Run around in the shape of an ellipse and decay your orbit into a tree while they are watching.

Which would you rather have? Cops that come over and ask you what you're doing? Or cops that come over for free burgers, and shoot the **** while you brew? I'd rather have the latter. Get on the cops good side, and if you ever need them, they'll do everything they can to help. Get on their bad side, and they'll be looking for you to F up.

I'm wondering if the reason you've never met a cop you like is because you gave them a reason to not like you. Cops are people too, and first impressions always leave a mark. You give them an attitude, and they'll remember that the next time they meet you. You invite them over for lunch, and they'll remember that too.

Don't think I've ever given them any reason. Have tried asking a few for traffic advice and my rights as a driver, and they just want to get huffy about my wasting their time. Have also tried just striking up conversation with off duty officers and they just all seem to talk down to everyone. All the officers I know or have met were just all pricks I wouldn't ever want to hang out with.

Doesn't help when HiPo and local PO both pull you over multiple times because "It's late and you are driving through town." Thanks ****er, I'm trying to get home.

And I would never be able to "shoot the ****" with any officer around here as I drink beer while shooting. The officers here would arrest me for possession of a firearm while under the influence. I hate those bastards. Well, most would. I'd probably be fine in the town I live in now as long as I wasn't speeding. That's the only law they know exists.

I've often wondered what people think when they first walk past my house. In addition to the 5 carboys bubbling away in my basement, I also built a grow room above my tub in the second bathroom, so there is a very bright florescent blue light shinning out of the window for 18 hours a day. Good times...

I just brewed over this past weekend for the first time with my new keggles... Had the keggles, cooler, pump, tubing, and CFC all out in the driveay. My immediate neighbors know I brew and have an open invite to come by any time I'm out brewing, but others, not so much... Every Tom, Dick, and Harry that walked or drove by had to slow down and check out what we were doing in the driveway - I just gave everyone a nice friendly wave and kept my eye open for what I expected was the inevitable visit from the local PD, who never turned up. So, as it turns out, I've got a bunch of curious folks in my neighborhood but, apparently, none quite as busy-body-ish as those the OP is dealing with...

Well being ex military I still have all my camp gill suit and all my camo nets. Ima set it up in the back yard just to throw them for a loop lol

Sounds like your neighbors were acting in a totally appropriate manner, particularly since you were outdoors, technically in "public." I wonder how many of the looky-lous wished they knew you well enough to ask you about the hobby that they always considered getting into but never did...
I just brewed over this past weekend for the first time with my new keggles... Had the keggles, cooler, pump, tubing, and CFC all out in the driveay. My immediate neighbors know I brew and have an open invite to come by any time I'm out brewing, but others, not so much... Every Tom, Dick, and Harry that walked or drove by had to slow down and check out what we were doing in the driveway - I just gave everyone a nice friendly wave and kept my eye open for what I expected was the inevitable visit from the local PD, who never turned up. So, as it turns out, I've got a bunch of curious folks in my neighborhood but, apparently, none quite as busy-body-ish as those the OP is dealing with...

Oh definitely - I didn't in any way mean to come across like I was complaining about the attention. I was actually rather amused by it, and would've been more than happy to explain the whole process and the whole rig (as ghetto as mine is, especially when compared to some of the pictures I've seen posted around this site!), probably in much greater detail than most typical folks would want to really hear... ;)

I'm always running around my property like a headless chicken doing something or another. I'm a bit of a tinkerer. I'm pretty sure all of my neighbors decided long ago that I'm crazy, so I don't think they would even pay much attention to what I was doing if I brewed in my driveway. They would likely just think "what the heck is that guy up to now?" and keep on going. With that said, I brew in my back yard and nobody can see me.

I think you got all the good advice you need. I wouldn't want friends like them, but I'd rather be on their good side. I've had an insane neighbor that didn't like me before, and it's more stress than it's worth.
I'm wondering if the reason you've never met a cop you like is because you gave them a reason to not like you. Cops are people too, and first impressions always leave a mark. You give them an attitude, and they'll remember that the next time they meet you. You invite them over for lunch, and they'll remember that too.

Yes cops are people too, and just like regular people some are crooked, some are prejudiced, and some are flat out racist, along with any other undesirable human condition. I've met a couple good cops, and I'm glad because now I know they do exist, but for a long time I was fairly convinced they didn't.

I don't understand this reaction by neighbors. Has there ever been an instance where someone has actually cooked meth in their driveway in front of the whole neighborhood?

I can always spot your posts, because you answer and then quote.

Which, BTW is totally inappropriate.;)

Sounds like your neighbors were acting in a totally appropriate manner, particularly since you were outdoors, technically in "public." I wonder how many of the looky-lous wished they knew you well enough to ask you about the hobby that they always considered getting into but never did...

Get a sign professionally made to put up in your front yard that says
"I brew beer at home. I don't cook meth like my neighbors have been telling you. They are idiots" and have an arrow pointing towards your neighbors

If they haven't called the cops on you for making meth there's probably a lot you can get away with there in your new neighborhood.

spent grain

plastic bag

couple hot days

paint fence with resulting nasty grain

go heavy around the peek holes

Dont forget to cover your nose and mouth. The proteins decomposing is essentially the same thing as a decomposing dead body. :)

Walk over and ring the doorbell. "Hi can I interest you in some Crystal 60 or Belgian Candy Sugar? Oh and can you help me scrape these scorpions off my head?"

Seriously just say "look I am Legally able to brew beer for my own consumption. Do you have a problem with that ? "

Not familiar with your local gun laws, but if you're able to open carry, you could always have a few friends with ski masks on carrying rifles walking around your property while you're brewing.

Drop a 4 pack off on their doorstep with a note telling them your a Homebrewer and dont invite them to your Spring Fling

Fo Sho

Ignore them! Your doing nothing wrong. The last thing you need a is me against them.

Drop a 4 pack off on their doorstep with a note telling them your a Homebrewer and dont invite them to your Spring Fling

Fo Sho
Why do people keep suggesting wasting homebrew on horrible neighbors? The only beer you should leave them is one you are either going to dump, or a potential bottle bomb.*

*please don't leave bottle bombs, this will leave you liable to civil damages, and was only said in jest. (decent legal disclaimer?)

Back