Choosing the right yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
How do you go about deciding what yeast to use when you are designing a recipe? Are you all just that darn good that you know what yeast will impart what flavor? Do you choose it according to what BJCPs decide is fitting of the style? I really don't know where to start...

Before you ask I don't have a recipe in the planning ATM I'm just looking for information.

A while ago i made test batches using all of my strains on the same wort to see what they would impart. Pretty good spread of flavors, and I just go from those tasting notes and the strain specs. High/low attenuation, fruity esters, dry finish, etc. I'm not one to stick to style guidelines though.

Brewing Classic Styles is a good resource for base recipes, with every BJCP style represented.

I started with brewers best kits, that included yeast. Then I graduated to recipies and the recommended yeast. Now I am beginning to do starters so I can split them and store a clean sample for future starters. I plan to select 4 yeast strains and use them exclusively until I understand the abilities and limitations of each. I am going to harvest Nottingham ( because it's at the bottom of my fermenter now) WLP 550 ( because its in a starter on my countertop now) a Heferweizen yeast to be selected and a 4th undefined strain. Its a learning process, kind of like golf: it takes a year to learn the game and a lifetime to understand it. I have learned brewing now I want to understand it.

Exactly, except in golf I usually leave the course pissed, and in brewing I leave...well...pissed drunk.

Back