What season do you do the most brewing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a November-March kind of brewer. Mostly because the temp is easier for me to control in the fermenter and partly because the wife can only endure it for part of the year...call it a compromise.
What I am wondering is at what time of the year is the most popular time for homebrewers to brew and why? Ok...I know there are some lucky dogs out there that have an awesome set-up and freedom to brew all the time, but for all the others ...what season do you do the most brewing ?

I brew year-round, except now in late January, then February and March, when we spend part of the winter in Texas.

BUT, I've been scouring the forums for some "locals" in Corpus Christi so I can at least go to a brewday. I miss it so much when I'm not able to brew!

I brew mostly from April/March to November/December. I am a pansie who hates the cold. Why do I live in Chicago? I wake up every November to April morning wondering that same thing.

My basement hovers at 64-68 year round, so fermenting is no problem. I do brave the cold in January once to brew a stout for March, but I truely am a wimp when it comes to cold.

Wish my wife liked the smell of brewing. I would get a whole electric setup and brew in the basement.

Ah, to dream...

Cool weather brewer here. I do brew in summer but it's a pita. Ground water is to warm to cool wort from late May till October. Plus, just nice brewing in the fall and mild California winter

I try to brew all year. I live in a row house so outside is my best/only option most of the time. So when it gets too cold outside, I'll either do extract brews in the kitchen or lay off for a month or so.

Fall and spring. Don't have to do anything to modify the temperature and I'm all about eliminating as much hassle as I can--unless it's fun hassle. Temperature fussing is not fun hassle.

I brew pretty much year round, some exception being the summer. Those that live in IL know how it is, you go outside for an hour and hang around the boiling kettle and feel like you've just taken a shower.

Right now is my favorite time of year. The closet on the exterior wall is perfect temp for fermenting (just brewed a stout that sat at 60 and still came darn close to erupting) and I can wear a t-shirt and a flannel and be comfortable while brewing. Love it!

I brew year round. Summer is a little more challenging to brew because of the heat. I have a chest freezer for my lagers, so the heats not a problem. Ales are a little tougher. I usually throw the fermenter in a cooler with a bunch of ice water.

I brew pretty much year round, some exception being the summer. Those that live in IL know how it is, you go outside for an hour and hang around the boiling kettle and feel like you've just taken a shower.

Right now is my favorite time of year. The closet on the exterior wall is perfect temp for fermenting (just brewed a stout that sat at 60 and still came darn close to erupting) and I can wear a t-shirt and a flannel and be comfortable while brewing. Love it!

Fall brewing! I love it.

I brew more in the summer because I brew outdoors, but I don't stop brewing in the winter - just have to time it with the weather (not usually that hard in California).

All year round. I hate brew days that start at 95 degrees (and by start, I mean that literally at 12:01 in a Florida August, it is 95 degrees) but you know what? Nobody's gonna call me a brew pansie! Plus, I have no room for long term storage, so to keep my pipeline going, I actually need to keep it going.

Year round. My longest brew-day of the year was an afternoon it was 116*, summer's aren't that bad

I brew year round. Summers really suck, especially this last drought ridden summer where temps were regularly well over 100F. But nothing that cold homebrews can't help out!

I have two chest freezers to maintain temps. Hardest part in summer is getting the wort to cool down quickly. I now keep a cooler full of ice water which I run through my IC with a pond pump - problem solved!

I brew year round, adjusting what I brew to the season. The ground water can get a little warm in the summer... end up prechilling the IC water for the last 20-30 deg F.

I brew every two weeks if I can (afford the ingredients and have empty fermenters). So I brew in all seasons. Where I live we have three seasons:

Winter
Bad Sledding
Road Construction

Sounds like here in NE Ohio;winter & orange barrel season! I brew in whatever season I can afford to. Whatever I have a taste for so far. Got a Burton ale & a summer ale going now. Can't stand big,heavy stuff all the time.

I brew mostly in the summer. The weather here is too NICE to brew the rest of the year. Instead I mountain bike, hike, and do things outside this time of year.

I still do about 1 batch every 2 months or so though.

I brew as soon as my water spigot is no longer subject to freeze temps. Living in england this is pretty random.

underground and under the influence

Year round. I either IC or on occasion, "no chill", and I keep my house at 70 degrees pretty much year round. We have a spare room with a closet that I keep my ales in. If I am trying to knock the temps down, I can "garage lager" at around 50* from about December to early March. In the summer, say from June to August, I can't wait to try some funky bretts, saisons and lactic weiss'es in the garage. I think it will be pretty good for that, as it will stay around 80*-90*.

I like to brew when the nights are cool. I'll do 48hrs of brewing and fill all 6 kegs, 8 carboys and one 1/2BBl, then I take a break for the hot days of summer. If the heat breaks, I'll brew a little in summer. One nice thing about living in Chicago is we have good water that is cold all year long.

I brew every time I swap out a keg. Currently I have 14 five gallon kegs cold,12 on tap 2 conditioning + 2 three gallon waiting to travel. In the wings I have 5 sitting ready to go into the keezer with 15 gallons in fermenters in various stages. I consider this my version of Hurricane Prep. My only goal per year is that I never run out of beer, hit the 55gallon mark yesterday! :D

Now that I have a chest freezer just for lagering, I can now store a bunch of kegs. I probably wont brew in the dead of summer, like July and August...

Back