Trying to double a packet of S05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I know you don't need to make a starter for dry yeast if you're just pitching a 5 gallon batch- I never do (thank you Safale!) but I'm being cheap and I want to use 1 packet of yeast to ferment 10 gallons- how do I go about making the starter? I'm not sure about how big it needs to be for around 11 gallons of 1.054 OG wort.

At least for me SO5 is like $2/pack and unless you can wort for starters you're going to spend close to that on DME, not to mention your time.

Putting the numbers into mrmalty you are basically looking to take the cell count to 2 or 2.5 times what's in the pack. Do some googling on step up starters. There are formulas that take the innoculation rates and wort volume to get a doubling. If I recall it'll be around one pack of yeast in 2-4 liters. I still think a starter that size will use the same or more $ in dme as a second packet.

I guess I'm just lucky but all my local sources have really cheap dry yeast.

Make a 5 gal batch of beer 1st. There will than be more than enough yeast cake to harvest for a 10 gal batch.

That only works for liquid yeast starters, for dry it says how many packets you need... and $2 per pack? WTH... its $3.50-3.75 on the mail order sites I use.

As another poster said, you can easily use mrmalty to do a dry starter.

Back