American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planning on brewing this tomorrow and I had one last question considering the extract method: I am on doing a full boil tomorrow in two separate batches and then combining the wort and pitching.

I calculated my evap rate at 1.375 gal/hr in a test today. So that plus the 2.5 gallons would be two pots of 3.875 gallons. I only bought a single pound of the 40L crystal malt so I was planning on splitting and steeping half a pound in the first batch and half a pound in the second. Is that going to be enough crystal malt? If it isn't I will have to postpone brewing for a little over a week. No LHBS, so I will be ordering more crystal malt online, but want to make sure I do this right.

Hope the answer comes in time. Brew time is bright and early!

Thanks.

A little bump. I would really like to get an answer before brew time...

Heavens man- I do sleep!!!! :D

Don't change the recipe, as there is enough crystal in there. You can steep all the crystal in one pot, or divide it up, as that doesn't change the hops utilization at all. The crystal is just for color and a little flavor, not for fermentable sugars.

Good luck- let us know how it comes out!

Heavens man- I do sleep!!!! :D

I didn't know mods were allowed to do that! I figured with all the discussion someone else might be able to stand in for you on that simple question.

Good luck- let us know how it comes out!

Since I was so stubborn and determined to do a full boil I ended up having to do three consecutive boils to get everything done. I started at 8:30AM and finished at 4:45PM not including clean up :cross:. Temp adjusted the Hydro reads 1.069 so I am pretty close to calculated despite ending up with 5.5 gallons of wort. I pitched the Nottingham yeast and rigged a blow off tube since I figure this will be a pretty strong fermentation with such a high O.G.

Overall everything went great the sample is crystal clear and hopefully fermentation will start soon. Not bad for my first not kit beer (I think)!

I didn't know mods were allowed to do that! I figured with all the discussion someone else might be able to stand in for you on that simple question.

Since I was so stubborn and determined to do a full boil I ended up having to do three consecutive boils to get everything done. I started at 8:30AM and finished at 4:45PM not including clean up :cross:. Temp adjusted the Hydro reads 1.069 so I am pretty close to calculated despite ending up with 5.5 gallons of wort. I pitched the Nottingham yeast and rigged a blow off tube since I figure this will be a pretty strong fermentation with such a high O.G.

Overall everything went great the sample is crystal clear and hopefully fermentation will start soon. Not bad for my first not kit beer (I think)!

Sounds like it went well, even with three separate boils! Hopefully the beer will taste so good, that you'll be happy with the time it took to do it the way you wanted.

This is still my favorite beer, and I should get busy and make it again myself!

Sounds like it went well, even with three separate boils! Hopefully the beer will taste so good, that you'll be happy with the time it took to do it the way you wanted.

This is still my favorite beer, and I should get busy and make it again myself!

When I tasted the wort from the other beer I made I didn't like it although the beer turned out good. With this wort it was very good. Now I am off to get a turkey fryer. No way in hell I am dealing with that mess again!

All seems to be going well. When I woke up fermentation had already begun. The krausen certainly looks different than my last brew!

other027.jpg

other029.jpg

other030.jpg

Too bad it will be a while before I can drink it. I am getting thirsty :drunk:.

I'm trying to order all of my ingredients from one place, but everywhere I look seems to be missing one. Either Simco hops or Amber malt. I can order caraamber instead of amber, would that work?

I'm trying to order all of my ingredients from one place, but everywhere I look seems to be missing one. Either Simco hops or Amber malt. I can order caraamber instead of amber, would that work?

I've never used of cara amber, but I don't think if it's a substitute. Cara malts are crystal malts, with some sweetness. I substitued maris otter malt for the amber once, and didn't notice much of a difference. The amber is such a small part of the grain bill (but came from Sam Calgione's grain bill in BYO) that I don't think it matters. I probably wouldn't use the cara amber, though- because you don't want to add a sweet malt. Use maris otter, or toast your own malt a bit to get it a bit darker. You can toast it in the oven for 20 minutes or so, on a cookie sheet at 375 until lightly toasted.

Good to know that Maris Otter works just as well. Trying to put together all these ingredients was getting frustrating!

Want to try this this weekend AG, having trouble finding amber malt. will Marris Otter suffice or would something else be better. How about aromatic? Or can i roast some 2 row to make amber?

Want to try this this weekend AG, having trouble finding amber malt. will Marris Otter suffice or would something else be better. How about aromatic? Or can i roast some 2 row to make amber?

Go up a couple of posts, #249. I think Yooper answered your question already. She has ESP you know....

Go up a couple of posts, #249. I think Yooper answered your question already. She has ESP you know....

Thanks, i made it thru the first 16 pages of this thread and gave up looking for it. should have started at page 26 and worked back.

Thanks, i made it thru the first 16 pages of this thread and gave up looking for it. should have started at page 26 and worked back.

Haha, no problem. It doesn't matter if I start at the first page or the last in a thread. The info I am looking for is always on the last page I look at. Murphy's Law.....

If you brew this using the Pale 2-row and Amber malt, I will assure you that the beer will be awesome! I tried the continuous hopping technique that Sam C pioneered and is described in Lorena's original post. But the batch I screwed up and added 0.55oz Amarillo at 35 and 0.45oz of Simcoe at 30 minutes was most like the original DFH. Both batches I tried to hop continuous-hop didn't seem to be as good.... just too bitter in comparison to DFH. GREAT beer, just not the same.

I bottled this yesterday and its the best beer i've ever made. Amazing.

OK, I based off of this recipe, but tweaked it up a bit to "make it my own.." It's in the carboy right now and going.

1/4 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Crystal 40

6lb DME
2 lb Local Honey

Bitter 1 oz Simco 12% (no warrior locally so I took it to 1 oz)
Flavor 1.5 oz Amarillo Gold
Aroma 1 oz Simco
I also plan on dryhopping 1/2 oz of Amarillo because I have them sitting here.

Pitched Wyeast 1056.

ThoughtS? This should be an interesting IPA... I had fun with it.

Just racked to secondary after about 3 weeks in primary. OG was 1.069 - F.G 1.019 using Nottingham. Hydro sample tastes great. Very well balanced. In a few days I will toss the hops in.

I'm making this again this weekend, but with a few minor changes. I don't have any amber malt, which I like better in it, so I'm going to use some toasted 2-row. I might toast about 3 pounds, to see what it brings to the reicpe.

I also am going to use some Northwest ale yeast- I used it before in an IPA and thought it was great. Otherwise, the recipe will be the same.

Those pictures look great! I'm brewing tomorrow, and I'm jealous that you're already dry hopping!

I'm going to crush my grain tonight, so that I can just start first thing in the morning.

Doing this today as well :)

Just doughed in :ban:

1st attempt at a true all grain :rockin:

So far my only oops are getting hop plugs from the LHBS and slightly overshooting my mash temp... Minor setbacks I say, minor....

I saw two different things for the extract version. Should I go with what's in the BeerSmith file and use 9.9lbs of Pale Liquid Extract, or what post #27 said, 8lbs, 8 ounces DME?
I plan on giving this a try this weekend :)

Good question... I have the extract planned for soon as well. Waiting for hops from Niko... The DFH says ABV is 6%, so 8.8 of DME is maybe a bit high.

Here is what I have planned in BeerSmith (for a late addition extract)

Code:
Type: Extract
 Date: 1/24/2009 
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
 Brewer: Richard 
Boil Size: 2.43 gal Asst Brewer:  
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: Brew Pot (3 Gallon)  
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: - 
Taste Notes:  

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU 
3 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 43.75 % 
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 % 
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.2 IBU 
1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.0 IBU 
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -  
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -  
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.5 IBU 
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc  
1 Pkgs Pacman [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale  

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
 Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG 
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG 
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.18 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 % 
Bitterness: 177.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint 
Est Color: 11.3 SRM Color: Color  

Mash Profile

Mash Name: None Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb 
Sparge Water: - Grain Temperature: - 
Sparge Temperature: - TunTemperature: - 
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: - 

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Type: Extract
 Date: 1/24/2009 
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
 Brewer: Richard 
Boil Size: 2.43 gal Asst Brewer:  
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: Brew Pot (3 Gallon)  
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: - 
Taste Notes:  

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU 
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 % 
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.2 IBU 
1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.0 IBU 
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -  
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -  
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.5 IBU 
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc  
1 Pkgs Pacman [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale  

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
 Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG 
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG 
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.18 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 % 
Bitterness: 177.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint 
Est Color: 11.3 SRM Color: Color

I saw two different things for the extract version. Should I go with what's in the BeerSmith file and use 9.9lbs of Pale Liquid Extract, or what post #27 said, 8lbs, 8 ounces DME?
I plan on giving this a try this weekend :)

Either/or is fine. If you prefer dry, use the DME. If you have liquid that you like, use that. I have an SG of 1.071, so it is higher than the 6% on the website. Mine is about 7.5% ABV or so. I like the big malt of it, to balance the hops.

Yikes, this fermented crazy dry, down to about 1.008. I guess that means I mashed too high, or too low, I never remember. That means I need to get my thermometer calibrated, it seems to be off by a couple of degrees. 7.2% alcohol for S.G. of 1.063.

Yikes, this fermented crazy dry, down to about 1.008. I guess that means I mashed too high, or too low, I never remember. That means I need to get my thermometer calibrated, it seems to be off by a couple of degrees. 7.2% alcohol for S.G. of 1.063.

That's low, alright! I have similar issues, and have been trying to mash higher. (Higher mash temp= less attenuation, higher FG, more body; lower mash temp= more attenuation, lower FG, thinner body).

Still, in an IPA, that sounds ok. How's it taste?

Either/or is fine. If you prefer dry, use the DME. If you have liquid that you like, use that. I have an SG of 1.071, so it is higher than the 6% on the website. Mine is about 7.5% ABV or so. I like the big malt of it, to balance the hops.

How big a malt do you get? I want mine to taste like the 60, not the 90 (which is too malty for me).

That's low, alright! I have similar issues, and have been trying to mash higher. (Higher mash temp= less attenuation, higher FG, more body; lower mash temp= more attenuation, lower FG, thinner body).

Still, in an IPA, that sounds ok. How's it taste?

It tastes super hoppy with a just a very small bit of an alcohol "burn". Not quite as balanced as the DFH60, but it still got me excited to drink a cold carbonated one. I think the final product will be good, but on my second attempt I'm going to be shooting for a higher efficiency and a higher FG. I'll update once I try the final product in a few weeks.

Just had my first pint. Turned out pretty good for my second brew. I can't really remember DFH 60 minute, it has been a while, but I think this is a tad more malty and off on color. Whatever the case it is good. I will try the all grain version fairly soon as well.

necklace004.jpg

A couple questions about my comparison between my brew and the original (do note I used extract for my clone).

O.G. 1.069 F.G. 1.019 using 1 packet of notty (in hindsight I would have used two)

Appearance: Aside from mine being a tad bit more cloudy dead on! As I was drinking I noticed the head on the original's head persisted slightly better and laced better.

Aroma: My version isn't quiet as toffee/nutty/malty as the original. Is this due to using DME rather than grain? Some twang comes through as well.

Taste: Mine has a very slight extract twang and is a little less bitter. I guess I need to use more hops next time :). The nuttyness/earthiness comes through a little bit more on the original. I am guessing this is for the same reason as the aroma?

Mouthfeel: Near identical, but mine is carbed more so it is slightly more aggressive in that department.

Overall, I am pretty happy with how it turned out especially since it was my second brew. I am just curious about the earthiness and what is the cause. I plan on making this again but AG fairly soon and want to nail it. So thanks for the recipe to Yooper and thanks to anyone who has some suggestions or ideas.

Just tasted the final product. Still needs a little time to completely carb up, but it is very good. Great hop flavor and aroma. Definately more hoppy than malty, but not overbearing. It is just a tad more bitter than I would like, but nothing to complain about.

Great beer. Thanks, Yooper.

A couple buddies and I have been planning to do this for a while and finally got to it yesterday. Fermentation started this morning and is already smelling pretty good. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Thanks for the help and the e-mail with directions!

Hi!

I´m thinking of trying this one for one of my next brews. I only have the gear to do a partial mash at the time, I´ll figure out the conversion. But I live in Norway and I have a hard time getting my hands on some warrior. Even if it won´t turn out identical, what would you suggest as a substitute for warrior? Would Chinook work perhaps? I´ll have to adjust a bit because of differences in AA of course, even though they are pretty close. Other high alpha varieties I have are Halertau Perle, Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial and Target, but I figure Chinook might work the best. What do you think?

Hmm, been looking around a bit and maybe Centennial might be better than Chinook. Seems like Warrior has a piney/citrus aroma, which matches both Chinook and Centennial, really. But I´m afraid that Chinook might give some of that characteristic woody/smoky aroma... Not sure though as it is very limited what we can get our hands on of beers with American hops here in Norway, so I really don´t have as many different examples to compare with as you guys have...

Hi!

I´m thinking of trying this one for one of my next brews. I only have the gear to do a partial mash at the time, I´ll figure out the conversion. But I live in Norway and I have a hard time getting my hands on some warrior. Even if it won´t turn out identical, what would you suggest as a substitute for warrior? Would Chinook work perhaps? I´ll have to adjust a bit because of differences in AA of course, even though they are pretty close. Other high alpha varieties I have are Halertau Perle, Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial and Target, but I figure Chinook might work the best. What do you think?

I've done it with chinook, when I was out of warrior hops. To be honest, the grapefruit/pine of the amarillo and simcoe pretty much cover any other flavors, so I didn't notice much (if any) difference in it. Perle would work fine, too, and possibly target, but I'd use the chinook or centennial.

Yooper (or anybody),
For adding the Warrior hops, you say:

"first warrior only for the first 25 minutes just a few pellets at a time, then remainder all mixed together and continuosly added"

Does this mean that the .75 oz of warrior you used was all in by the end of the first 25 minutes? or was there some left over that you added with the later additions.

Thanks

Back