American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is fine to pitch at 55. I bet the yeast are going crazy right now as I am writing this. Also, if you have a 12 gal pot why aren't you doing full boils?

Thanks for the info. I have it sitting near a heater now and the temp is up around 66-68 degrees so should be good to go. It is bubbling away like crazy. I was going to do a full boil, but I had purchased hops assuming only partial boil, so just decided to stick with that. Next time I will do a full boil. What advantages does a full boil have though over partial boil?

I would first check your hydrometer in distilled water. Also, sometimes when you top off your wort with water it doesn't mix completely. This could cause an error in your reading.

If it didn't mix completely, could that pose a problem in fermenting? I pitched it last night, and now it's bubbling (about a bubble every 5 seconds), so it doesn't look like the yeast is having any trouble finding food - I just wonder if I should "shake it up" a little to make sure the sugars are distributed throughout...

If it didn't mix completely, could that pose a problem in fermenting? I pitched it last night, and now it's bubbling (about a bubble every 5 seconds), so it doesn't look like the yeast is having any trouble finding food - I just wonder if I should "shake it up" a little to make sure the sugars are distributed throughout...

leave it. it will be fine.

Thanks for the info. I have it sitting near a heater now and the temp is up around 66-68 degrees so should be good to go. It is bubbling away like crazy. I was going to do a full boil, but I had purchased hops assuming only partial boil, so just decided to stick with that. Next time I will do a full boil. What advantages does a full boil have though over partial boil?

With a full boil you get better hop utilization and decreased caramelization. This means that you both save money on hops and get a final beer color that is closer to the style you are brewing. Partial boils will come out darker than full boils. This is a bigger issue with lighter beers.

pstrohs said:
leave it. it will be fine.

Thanks - I had a feeling that would be the right answer. ;-) I don't think I have to worry about my yeast finding food - woke up this morning to a "beer volcano"; Airlock clogged, lid bulging, and bubbling from under lid. Had to move it to the tub and rig a makeshift blowout hose before leaving for work. Only thing I had on hand (with my carpool ride waiting in front of my house) was a 1/4" dia. siphon hose. Hope that does the trick. I know it's a bit small, but the best I could do in a pinch. Fortunately my wife is home most of the day to keep an eye on it...

So I am going to make this (extract version) and I am trying to figure out the hop additions. I am going to do a 3 gal boil with a boil gravity ~ 1.070. So i did a little math and here is what I came up with for my hop additions:

0.54 oz Warrior (17.1%) [60 min]
0.48 oz Amarillo (8.6%) [35 min]
0.46 oz Simcoe (11.9%) [30 min]

My concern is that this would give me the correct IBU's by the recipe if I added all the hops at their time, but this would not if I added 0.27 oz of Warrior then stretched the rest out for 25 min.

The hop additions just seems a little low and has got me worried a bit. I would be thankful if someone could help me here.

Holy F@#&in smokes! I just bottled this and tasted the leftover and wow! wow! wow! I don't know if I can wait 3 weeks for this to bottle condition...the taste is super amazing even flat. I used the extract version but threw in a few things I had laying around: half a pound of corn sugar and dry light malt extract...added 1/4 ounce each of glacier and columbus plus 1/2 ounce of palaside to the final 35 minute hop additions. I did do a hop addition every 20 seconds for the last 35 minutes as well. Dry hopped with 1 ounce each of Amarillo, Simcoe and Glacier. I am going to brew this again soon for sure maybe upping the Amarillo and Simcoe in both in the boil as aroma additions and as dry hop...this is absolutely amazing!

This is going to be my next batch. Can anyone point me towards the page with the recipe for a full boil? This thread is huge! Thanks in advance. :)

I'm brewing this tonight after work. After reading some of the talk about partial vs. full boil, I think I'll go for the full boil. I have an 8-gallon pot, but I wonder if my electric stove can bring 6-6.5 gallons of water to a boil...in under a week.

Any thoughts?

For a full boil, you can follow the AG hopping recipe. That will be the same.

Since a full boil will get better hop utilization is that why you are recommending following the hop schedule for the AG brew? It is a lot less hops.

I was planing on doing this batch this weekend but I have one question, I have a pack of cheap Nottingham yeast. Should I use it or just drop a few $$ and get a Wyeast? Will the Nottingham make it tase weird?

I'm going to brew this next week. Two questions though. One, where is the rosemary in the recipe? Everytime I drink 60 min all i can smell is rosemary. Ever since I brought it up in conversation all my friends and I joke about how they probably toss 1 oz with 10 minutes to go.

My serious question though: What is this recipe's efficiency based on? 75%

BucksPA said:
I'm going to brew this next week. Two questions though. One, where is the rosemary in the recipe? Everytime I drink 60 min all i can smell is rosemary. Ever since I brought it up in conversation all my friends and I joke about how they probably toss 1 oz with 10 minutes to go.

My serious question though: What is this recipe's efficiency based on? 75%

I think the Rosemary aroma is from the simcoe hops. Simco is known to have a piney aroma and flavor.

I brewed this lastnight with some minor changes. I used a light LME instead of a pale. I have used this in the past and it has the same color. My LHBS is/was out of Amarillo so I substituted Cascasde. Also, they don't carry a "Carmel/Crystal 40L" so I used a British Medium Crystal Malt 50L. I steeped the grains in 1.5L of water at ~155'f for 30 mins sparged and discarded. I then transferred the tea to my 7.5 gal kettle and brought the total boil volume to 5.5 gal. Brought this to a boil and removed from the flame and added the 9.5 lbs of LME. My total volume was now 6.5 gal which is what I wanted because I boil off about 1.25gal/hr with my setup here in Humid Texas. I followed the rest of the recipe spot on. When I finished I took a sample from the kettle and the OG was 1.080. I attributed this to it not being mixed up that well. I racked to primary and noticed that even though my kettle was telling me I had 5.25 gal of wort, only 4.75 gal transferred :confused:. I topped up with filtered water to 5.25 gal and aerated. I then took another gravity reading before pitching, 1.071 - 1.072 (hard to tell). This made me happy knowing I was basically almost right on to the recipe.

Where have I been...under a rock? I HAVE to brew this...OMG!!! I have done the Dead Guy clone and that rocked...but this...oh yeah!!! I am actually a bigger fan of the 90min...but this will do. I am actually going to be up by my LHBS tomorrow...have to see if I have the xtra coin. The Stone clone will be next.

I'm tryin to brew other then IPA's (just cause that's all I love) but I can't help it...keep finding these great recipes.

Only downfall is that I will have to wait till the pacman comes back out :(

Thanks again Yooper!!!

Rock on! :rockin:

Koogz

Kugster said:
Where have I been...under a rock? I HAVE to brew this...OMG!!! I have done the Dead Guy clone and that rocked...but this...oh yeah!!! I am actually a bigger fan of the 90min...but this will do. I am actually going to be up by my LHBS tomorrow...have to see if I have the xtra coin. The Stone clone will be next.

I'm tryin to brew other then IPA's (just cause that's all I love) but I can't help it...keep finding these great recipes.

Only downfall is that I will have to wait till the pacman comes back out :(

Thanks again Yooper!!!

Rock on! :rockin:

Koogz

What Dead Guy clone recipe did you use? I'm looking for one. Thanks.

I cant get Amber malt, Biscuit malt or MO from my LBS. Would Melanoidin malt or Aromatic Malt be a good Sub.

Or should i toast some 2-row.

Thanks

Man I'm really enjoying this one! I had a couple bottles of the commercial version so last night I thought I'd do a comparison. I think I nailed the color almost perfectly. Aroma is much more pronounced on mine, probably because I'm hopping in the serving keg and because of the freshness factor. I can't stop sniffing this beer! I've never had a beer I enjoyed smelling almost as much as drinking! lol
Taste is similar but the flavors in mine are more pronounced again probably because of the same freshness. The commercial is a bit smoother and only slightly more drinkability. I believe this has to do with age difference and I got a higher efficiency on this one than expected so the abv is higher in mine.
I took some good pics to show but can't figure out how to upload the darn things. Sorry, I'm new to the forum. Anybody wanna help out a noob? :)

do you think if I substituted 13 pounds of US 2-row with German Pils 2-row it would make a remarkable difference, or just slightly more malty than US 2-row. i have a 55 pound sack and am considering substituting it for this recipe.

I cant get Amber malt, Biscuit malt or MO from my LBS. Would Melanoidin malt or Aromatic Malt be a good Sub.

Or should i toast some 2-row.

Thanks

I've done it with aromatic malt and toasted two-row in the past, both with good results.

do you think if I substituted 13 pounds of US 2-row with German Pils 2-row it would make a remarkable difference, or just slightly more malty than US 2-row. i have a 55 pound sack and am considering substituting it for this recipe.

It would be less grainly and malty. German pilsner malt is "lighter" flavored. It should still wok.

OK, I finally had a chance to compare my brew with the commercial example. I live in Canada, and we can't get 60min. anymore, but a friend brought me back one from a recent trip to the USA.

Color was practically identical.
Taste was quite close, but the commercial version was a bit maltier. My version had a better hop aroma, and better hop flavor (could be freshness).

I used 1/2 pound biscuit instead of the maris otter/amber.

I brewed yoopers extract version of this beer, it's my second batch.

My o.g. was 1.072, it's been in the primary for 17 days, the last two days its been 1.012.
So I decided to throw in the hops for the dry hop per the recipe.

After I tossed in the hops and put the lid on I tasted my sample and it had a fairly strong alcohol taste to it. I wonder if I should have tasted first before throwing in my hops and let the wort sit for another week or ten days before dryhopping?

Is it possible for that taste to mellow with time?

Ferm. temp was a steady 70 on the strip thermometer on the bucket.

I used the w yeast 1056 smack pack.

THanks!!

bmock79 said:

My o.g. was 1.072, it's been in the primary for 17 days, the last two days its been 1.012.

After I tossed in the hops and put the lid on I tasted my sample and it had a fairly strong alcohol taste to it. I wonder if I should have tasted first before throwing in my hops and let the wort sit for another week or ten days before dryhopping?

THanks!!

It probably won't dry out any more from where you are now, especially with extract and if you use the same dry hopping as the op recipe, they are very aromatic and will be more pronounced than most other flavors. This is a fairly big beer and will smooth nicely with a little aging, if you can leave it alone. I'm struggling with that :)

Nottingham is fine, if you can keep it under 72 degrees!

THANKS!:cross: I ended up making a Arrogant Bastard ale. But this will be my next beer I make. I should be brewing again this weekend or next, Thanks for all your help.

Cheers!!! Popped a bottle last night after 3 weeks primary and 2.5 in bottle, this is one good beer and I am officially chilling a bunch tomorrow to drink with friends and fam on the weekend! :tank: This is going to be one GREAT weekend! Plus the two tap kegerator went together nicely and SWMBO's WIT is on tap and should be ready to pour as well. Only problem is I have an empty keg and tap right now and two empty primaries. Looks like I will need to brew again this weekend! :D

THanks!!

It will definitely mellow with time. My hydrometer reading before I bottled had a very strong alcohol taste. This mellowed fairly quickly in the bottle. This is probably my favorite beer of the 30+ beers that I have brewed.:mug:

It will definitely mellow with time. My hydrometer reading before I bottled had a very strong alcohol taste. This mellowed fairly quickly in the bottle. This is probably my favorite beer of the 30+ beers that I have brewed.:mug:

Thats what I like to hear!! Just being overly paranoid about this one, I love this beer and hope it turns out half as good as the real deal!!!

Thanks!!

I think I am going to brew this one again soon. I have a few bottles left that I am going to age for a while just to see how they change over time. I don't think I'll change much, except for adding a little more simcoe and trying to get my FG lower (finished at 1.020 last time).

Does anybody have any tips for getting my FG a little lower next time? My last batch I used Pacman and made a big (2L) starter. I'm thinking I need to aerate better.

I think I am going to brew this one again soon. I have a few bottles left that I am going to age for a while just to see how they change over time. I don't think I'll change much, except for adding a little more simcoe and trying to get my FG lower (finished at 1.020 last time).

Does anybody have any tips for getting my FG a little lower next time? My last batch I used Pacman and made a big (2L) starter. I'm thinking I need to aerate better.

I just did my first batch of this last night. If you are doing all grain, make sure your thermometer is calculated correctly. If so maybe try mashing 1-2 degrees lower in temp. With that big of a starter in 5? Gallons it should have dropped lower given a respectable mash temp, though I have never used pacman before. I used 1056 with a 1 liter starter and used a mash temp of 152.

Back