Nottingham or s-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crlova2

Reaction score
My brew store is out of us-05. They have s-04 or Nottingham. I am making a bells th clone. Which yeast should I use? Don't have to time to make a starter so no liquid yeast this time.

Use the Nottingham, it's much closer to US-05 than S-04. S-04 is an english dry strain.

Use the Nottingham, it's much closer to US-05 than S-04. S-04 is an english dry strain.

S-04 is not an English dry strain. It is the Whitbread strain (Wyeast 1099) which a relatively low attenuating and somewhat fruity yeast. However, I agree that Nottingham is a good clean yeast to sub for US-05.

S-04 is not an English dry strain. It is the Whitbread strain (Wyeast 1099) which a relatively low attenuating and somewhat fruity yeast. However, I agree that Nottingham is a good clean yeast to sub for US-05.

S-04 is Whitbread Dry just like WLP007/1098, it attenuates more than the standard Whitbread. And it is English in descent per the spec sheet from Fermentis. (As is 1099, 1098, wlp007, wlp002)

http://www.fermentis.fr/FO/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_S-04_HB.pdf

Use the Nottingham and ferment cool - that will give you less esters and cleaner result such as you would expect with us-05.

GT

S-04 is not an English dry strain. It is the Whitbread strain (Wyeast 1099) which a relatively low attenuating and somewhat fruity yeast.

"Whitbread" yeasts are descended from the yeast used by the Whitbread brewery, founded by Samuel Whitbread in London, England.

I have to say I disagree here and would go with the 04. The bells strain is a fruitier yeast and does contribure to the flavor of the beer. I use the bells strain quite a bit, and I ferment it in upwards of 75 degrees for my BTH clone, and it is very, very, close to the original.

So i would use the S-04, mash low and ferment at 70 degrees.

:rockin: Better yet, go buy some oberon and harvest the real thing.

I have to say I disagree here and would go with the 04. The bells strain is a fruitier yeast and does contribure to the flavor of the beer. I use the bells strain quite a bit, and I ferment it in upwards of 75 degrees for my BTH clone, and it is very, very, close to the original.

So i would use the S-04, mash low and ferment at 70 degrees.

:rockin: Better yet, go buy some oberon and harvest the real thing.

S-04 is more biscuity/bubblegummy then Bell's yeast, notty is the closest thing to US-05 in a readily available dry yeast.

S-04 is more biscuity/bubblegummy then Bell's yeast, notty is the closest thing to US-05 in a readily available dry yeast.

Nottingham is good yeast, but I would be very carefull, there is a small sweet spot for it. If you ferment too cold you get tartness, if you ferment to warm you get huge esters. Either way notty will attenuate and floc like crazy though. If you go with notty, make sure you rehydrate properly, and ferment between 65 and 70......then you should be good.

Not that I don't like S-04, it's probably my most used yeast! I make my house red with it & have an ESB fermenting with it right now.

Sorry, I miss spoke. I meant to say that S-04 is not a dry yeast. It is obviously English. But I still believe it is closer to Wyeast 1099 (Regular Whitbread) than it is to Wyeast 1098 (Whitbread Dry).

Back