American Amber Ale Caramel Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Rich malty caramel balance beautifully with fragrant clementine-like hop aroma.
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 73.68 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 15.79 %
1.00 lb Candi Syrup Amber* (40.0 SRM) Sugar 10.53 %

0.78 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 40.2 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

1 Pkgs American Ale (Safale #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 150 for 60 minutes.

Ferment at 62-65 degrees Fahrenheit.

Carb to 2.5 volumes

*Candi syrup added with 15 minutes left in boil. Use the dark amber recipe in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/, but only make a half batch (use one pound of sugar). Add the entire batch to the boil. This stuff is super easy to make and imperative to the recipe. The syrup it makes has a smooth decadent caramel flavor that is deeply rich and complex. The flavor and aroma make it through to the final beer and blend with the malt and hops to make a spectacular beer.

Amber ales seem severely under appreciated on the forum and that's something I cannot abide. It's my hope to lead a revolution that will bring this darker, maltier cousin of the self-important pale ale to the forefront of homebrewers' "to brew lists". No longer will overpowering bitterness and over-the-top hops rule these lands. For now is a time to sing the praises of balance. I have a dream! A dream where malts and hops are equal! Help me make this dream come true and brew an amber ale today!

I created this recipe hoping to make a beer that emphasized a rich caramel flavor, but that wasn't cloying or overwhelming. The candi syrup was key here, since it adds a wonderfully complex caramel flavor and aroma, but ferments out almost completely so that the final beer is relatively dry. Combined with the firm bitterness from the hops, the low final gravity balances the sweetness from the caramel flavors and gives the beer great drinkability. The rich caramel hits your tongue first, followed immediately by the unique bitterness of the chinook hops. An everpresent maltiness holds everything together while the sip makes it's way to a dry, lingering finish. A distinct clementine aroma from the hops accompanies the sweet, inviting caramel and malt aromas. The overall impression is one of perfect balance. Malt and bitterness, hops and caramel, all joining together to dance merrily on the tongue. I can say without a doubt, this is one of the best recipes I've made.

DSC_3496NEF.jpg

I brewed up 10 gallons of this today. Hit my numbers across the board too. How long did you go from grain to glass?

I brewed up 10 gallons of this today. Hit my numbers across the board too. How long did you go from grain to glass?

Nice, be sure to report back. I let it go a month in primary then racked to secondary with some gelatin and left it there for a week before kegging.

Here are a couple more pics I took tonight. This is a really nice looking beer. It almost looks as good as it tastes! :) The head has fallen down a little bit here, but notice how creamy it is and the lace it leaves.

DSC_3650NEF.jpg

And here is a kind of artsy picture showing the color more accurately. Excuse the condensation on the pics. The beer is actually crystal clear.
DSC_3640NEF.jpg

How important is the yeast for this recipe? I have some left from the Kolsch I made last (WLP029) and was curious if I could sub it in with this recipe. Those pics are beautiful!

Carrot, the kolsch yeast should work great. It should be clean and let the malt and hops shine through just like the chico yeast. If you brew it be sure to report back. :mug:

Sorry I forgot to report back earlier. Had this tapped for a few weeks now and its great. My dad who I sometimes give a kegs to came by and tasted it the other day and promptly took the second keg back for his kegerator.

Thanks for the recipe its been awhile since I had a quality Amber

this looks absolutely exquisite. a must brew for me..

EDIT: after reading the candi syrup thread and listening to the podcast posted, i was wondering why it was you chose to use the Mahogany?

it seems like the 290F candi has the most flavor complexity and is SnickaSaurusRex's choice for brewing...

do you think if i opted for the 290 instead of the 300 (for more flavor complexity), i would get a much lighter colored beer?

this looks absolutely exquisite. a must brew for me..

EDIT: after reading the candi syrup thread and listening to the podcast posted, i was wondering why it was you chose to use the Mahogany?

it seems like the 290F candi has the most flavor complexity and is SnickaSaurusRex's choice for brewing...

do you think if i opted for the 290 instead of the 300 (for more flavor complexity), i would get a much lighter colored beer?

Damn, I never noticed I listed the wrong one until you mentioned that. I actually do use the 290 recipe and it is what I meant to write, I just called it the wrong thing above. I just adjusted the recipe above to reflect that it does actually use the dark amber (290). I apologize to anyone who brewed it using the 300 degree syrup, though it seems like it came out ok.

Damn, I never noticed I listed the wrong one until you mentioned that. I actually do use the 290 recipe and it is what I meant to write, I just called it the wrong thing above. I just adjusted the recipe above to reflect that it does actually use the dark amber (290). I apologize to anyone who brewed it using the 300 degree syrup, though it seems like it came out ok.

ah ok, that makes more sense.

well good, now i have the utmost confidence in this beer.

this will def be my next AG.

Sounds real good. How did you do your aroma hop editions? Just by steeping them while the wort cools, or did you dry hop it?

ok, i believe this is going to be my first brew, so I was trying to input it into brewmate since my trial to beersmith expired, and I was wondering how i should input the candi syrup or if it does not have a real impact on the formula. Reason why I am trying to do this is so I can then use beersmith to convert it to a 2.5 gallon extract batch to start with.

is there info on the syrup that I can added to both programs ingredient database?

ok, i believe this is going to be my first brew, so I was trying to input it into brewmate since my trial to beersmith expired, and I was wondering how i should input the candi syrup or if it does not have a real impact on the formula. Reason why I am trying to do this is so I can then use beersmith to convert it to a 2.5 gallon extract batch to start with.

is there info on the syrup that I can added to both programs ingredient database?

I went with 40 SRM for the syrup which should be pretty close. I simplified it a bit in the recipe by saying 1 lb, even though it comes out to a bit over a pound due to the added water. To counter that, I gave it the same extract potential as 1 lb of white sugar, which is what it will contain, in addition to the small amount of water. So to summarize, call it 40 SRM and use the mass amount of sugar you use to make the sugar for caculations using the raw sugar's extract potential. Sorry if I made that more confusing than it should be.

brewed this yesterday, and really botched it. didnt boil down the wort to the proper volume. i got 6.5 gallons of 1.040 wort. =[

ill have to try this recipe again. hopefully my massacre of this is still a tasty beer...

I'm sure it will turn out to be a good beer. Not as malty and a bit more bitter, but will probably make a great session ale!

I'm actually having a similar problem right now on the SNCA clone I'm brewing. I'm about to run out of propane so I'm running the burner lower than normal, and I don't think I'm going to boil off enough. Oh well! :D

Well, I just finished brewing a batch of this today. I made a starter with the Kolsch yeast I had, but never saw much activity. I tasted the starter and couldn't decide if it tasted ok or not. It probably would have been fine, but I chickened out and used a pack of dry Nottingham. Hopefully it'll be close enough to the S05 in your recipe.

Anyway, I hit my numbers on the mark. Mash went from 152 to 151 over the course of an hour, and my OG was 1.050 just now when it went into my fermentation freezer. I've got high hopes for this baby! The syrup (290) really does have a nice raisin/prune taste to it. I'm hoping to be back to post my raving reviews in a few weeks.:rockin:

Thanks for the recipe!

Just brewed a batch of this finally today. I hit your numbers dead on, ended up with a SG of 1.052. Beer smith was giving me all different numbers. I don't know if it had to do with how I inputed the Candi Syrup, but it said my SG should have been 1.045. All I did was copy the info fron the package of the candi syrup. How did you enter it?
Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

Well, I just finished brewing a batch of this today. I made a starter with the Kolsch yeast I had, but never saw much activity. I tasted the starter and couldn't decide if it tasted ok or not. It probably would have been fine, but I chickened out and used a pack of dry Nottingham. Hopefully it'll be close enough to the S05 in your recipe.

Anyway, I hit my numbers on the mark. Mash went from 152 to 151 over the course of an hour, and my OG was 1.050 just now when it went into my fermentation freezer. I've got high hopes for this baby! The syrup (290) really does have a nice raisin/prune taste to it. I'm hoping to be back to post my raving reviews in a few weeks.:rockin:

Thanks for the recipe!

The notty should be fine. I sometimes detect a tartness from it but it seems most people don't. Either way it should be good.

Just brewed a batch of this finally today. I hit your numbers dead on, ended up with a SG of 1.052. Beer smith was giving me all different numbers. I don't know if it had to do with how I inputed the Candi Syrup, but it said my SG should have been 1.045. All I did was copy the info fron the package of the candi syrup. How did you enter it?
Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

Glad it went well for you! I calculated the gravity addition of the candi syrup by entering it in as 1 lb of white sugar, since that is what I used to make it. The actual weight of the syrup would have been slightly more than 1 lb since it also includes some water, but it was easier to just use the white sugar numbers for calculations.

Glad it went well for you! I calculated the gravity addition of the candi syrup by entering it in as 1 lb of white sugar, since that is what I used to make it. The actual weight of the syrup would have been slightly more than 1 lb since it also includes some water, but it was easier to just use the white sugar numbers for calculations.

Oh, ok. I didn't realize you made your own candi syrup. Maybe I missed it in the thread. I just bought the amber syrup from brewmasters warehouse.
It wasn't listed in beer smith so I input it myself with the number from the package. The syrup tasted real good.

Oh, ok. I didn't realize you made your own candi syrup. Maybe I missed it in the thread. I just bought the amber syrup from brewmasters warehouse.
It wasn't listed in beer smith so I input it myself with the number from the package. The syrup tasted real good.

Haha, it's right there in the recipe. :D The commercial stuff should be just as good, just a lot more $. When you taste the beer and it's the best thing you've ever had, and you decide to brew it again, you'll know for next time how to save some money on the batch.:cross:

The syrup makes for a pretty mean cowboy pie too. Mixed with some crunchy peanut butter and liberally applied to toast. My grandmother used to make it for us with molasses and she called it cowboy pie. I had some Sunday morning for breakfast and it sure was yummy!

is there an extract version of this?

Yeah, this recipe is actually really easy to do with extract. Just use 5.25 lbs of light LME or 4.2 lbs light DME in place of the pale malt. Then steep the crystal malt and add the syrup to the boil as usual.

I brewed this up about a month ago. Brew day went well hitting all my numbers. The only thing I had a problem with was the syrup. I followed the recipe but it never came out dark enough. It looked more like the 290 deg but oh well. It's still in the fermenter but getting ready to keg it this weekend. So far all I can say is wow. The hydro sample was great. Can't wait to be drinking this.

I brewed this up about a month ago. Brew day went well hitting all my numbers. The only thing I had a problem with was the syrup. I followed the recipe but it never came out dark enough. It looked more like the 290 deg but oh well. It's still in the fermenter but getting ready to keg it this weekend. So far all I can say is wow. The hydro sample was great. Can't wait to be drinking this.

That's good because I actually use the 290 degree syrup in this recipe but somehow screwed up and called it the mahogany in the recipe. I've corrected the recipe now but the 290 degree sugar is what should be used. I'm glad you liked the hydro sample, but just wait until you try the finished beer!:ban:

I just found this recipe and plan to make it with Sugar #5 tomorrow since I have a lot of it left over from a previous candi sugar making session. I will report back as to how it turns out.

I brewed up the AG version yesterday and I too have very high hopes for this one! That candi syrup rocks and I can only imagine the wonderful taste it will impart into the beer.

KingBrian, do you keep it fermenting at 62-65 for the full 30 days and also during 2ndary?

Thanks!

Jeff

I brewed up the AG version yesterday and I too have very high hopes for this one! That candi syrup rocks and I can only imagine the wonderful taste it will impart into the beer.

KingBrian, do you keep it fermenting at 62-65 for the full 30 days and also during 2ndary?

Thanks!

Jeff

I keep the primary at 62-65 but the secondary is more like 68. As long as you don't let the primary get over about 68 you should be fine.

Brian,

I put this in the fermenter at approx. 2pm Monday. Today there is still no airlock activity. I know it can take up to 72 hours but it's got me really thinking about it.

Thinking about opening the lid and giving it a good stir. I made a small starter per How To Brew and pitched at the appropriate temps (approx. wort temp 80), so I'm not sure why it's slow taking off.

I don't have an oxygenator but have a plastic padle with slots or holes in it. I stirred the hell outta the wort before and after I put the yeast in. Got it all frothed up, put the yeast in, then stirred for another probably 2 minutes.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I open her up and give her a good stirring this morning? Was thinking about waiting till this evening which would be a solid 48 hours since I pitched.

I'd say just leave it be. It will probably start up today if it hasn't already. Tomorrow, if it looks like it still isn't going take a hydro sample just to make sure. If it hasn't moved from the OG you can think about repitching and reoxygenating, though I'm sure it won't come to that. It will be going strong soon.

Sounds great bro, thanks for the advice! I'll sit tight and be patient! :)

Man, the sounds of this brew have me so excited. I love ambers and LOVE caramel flavor so this has the potential to be one of my all time favs and a regular at my home brewery!!!!

I'll cross my fingers and try not to think about it today.

Jeff

Just kegged mine this morning after 3.5 weeks in primary. It finished at 1.010. The Hydro sample tasted great!
It's gonna be hard to wait another 1.5- 2 weeks to condition in the keg!

And we have liftoff! Sometime between 5pm and 8 pm tonight. She's bubbling pretty fast already!

ok, i made the AG version of this last night. I didn't check my pre-boil gravity cause swmbo was rushing me along. Anyhow, I ended up w/ a final grav into fermenter at 1.070 !? I am not sure what happened here. (puts my effeciency over 100%) I may have put in the wrong amounts of grain, but i doubt it... I double check everything. The candi sugar turned out a bit lighter, but oh well. I made some beer. I will check back in and let u guys know how it turns out in a bit.

Back