Can you guys be on the look-out for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I'm sick of bottling, so I want to buy a kegging set up. If any of you guys see a good bargain, can you PM me if you see a good deal from someone in Northern Illinois or who's willing to ship?

Thanks!

I would say it is considering the pressure guage costs ~$80 alone. It is close to the cost if you went piece meal. You looking for ball or pin locks?

- WW

I pieced together mine on my own.

I got the kegs from Adventures in homebrewing for 15 bucks a piece. You may as well get at LEAST 2.

They also have a system similar to the one you linked.

I got the parts from Micromatic

Depending on what you're converting, you're going to need either a shank or tower set-up. I'd stay away from the cobra tap. You'd have to open your frige every time you wanted to pour and that's a PITA.

Before you buy a tank, check with the local gas places to see what they have. Usually, you can just put a deposit on a tank and keep returning it for a full one. That way, there is no waiting to get filled and you don't have to worry about your tank getting old and needing to get tested.

Also, buy a splitter for your air line so you can force carb one keg while drinking another

rdwj said:
I pieced together mine on my own.

I got the kegs from Adventures in homebrewing for 15 bucks a piece. You may as well get at LEAST 2.

They also have a system similar to the one you linked.

I got the parts from Micromatic

Depending on what you're converting, you're going to need either a shank or tower set-up. I'd stay away from the cobra tap. You'd have to open your frige every time you wanted to pour and that's a PITA.

Before you buy a tank, check with the local gas places to see what they have. Usually, you can just put a deposit on a tank and keep returning it for a full one. That way, there is no waiting to get filled and you don't have to worry about your tank getting old and needing to get tested.

Also, buy a splitter for your air line so you can force carb one keg while drinking another

AWESOME suggestions. I like the idea of dropping a deposit on a tank instead of owning one. Makes it easier to upgrade!

I have a Sanyo dorm-style fridge that I'd like to convert into a kegerator. How much work is it to make the conversion? Anyone have a "How-To" site they can post?

Cheesefood said:
I have a Sanyo dorm-style fridge that I'd like to convert into a kegerator. How much work is it to make the conversion? Anyone have a "How-To" site they can post?
How big is the fridge? Will it fit a corny? Some of them dorm style units look tall enough, but might be a PITA as far as depth goes, I.E., they usally have some kinda shelf that may prevent the perfect fit.

Cheese,

I have the Sanyo 4912 which will work perfectly. Any of the 4900 models should work, provided there's no freezer in the top of it.

I have several conversion sites bookmarked at home and I'll be sure to link them here tonight for you when I'm home from work.

Orpheus said:
Cheese,

I have the Sanyo 4912 which will work perfectly. Any of the 4900 models should work, provided there's no freezer in the top of it.

I have several conversion sites bookmarked at home and I'll be sure to link them here tonight for you when I'm home from work.

There is a freezer on the top. Is it a beyotch to uninstall?

My wife really wants me to start kegging ASAP.

Cheesefood said:
There is a freezer on the top. Is it a beyotch to uninstall?

My wife really wants me to start kegging ASAP.

REALLY!? Will your wife marry me?

Man, the fight over the kegerator nearly cost me a week sleeping on the couch! I WISH my wife would have liked me to get a kegerator ASAP! :D

Getting kegs means getting rid of bottles and no longer having the floor sticky. She's all for getting rid of all the empty bottles and not having me bottle any more. She might not like my beer, but she'll let me have my hobby.

And no, you may not marry her. When my wife was 3 months pregnant, she bought me a plane ticket to Amsterdam so that I could have a fun 30th birthday with my best friend. Since then I've come to realize that I have the best wife ever.

And she gave me the best present ever - my son.

My wife was a little worried when she found out I was going to drill a hole in the side of our basement fridge. I don't think she even noticed the 2nd hole I made so that I could install a bulkhead and have my tank outside the fridge.

...She'll probably notice when I install the 2nd tapper. I'll get the standard :rolleyes:

Cheesefood said:
And no, you may not marry her. When my wife was 3 months pregnant, she bought me a plane ticket to Amsterdam so that I could have a fun 30th birthday with my best friend. Since then I've come to realize that I have the best wife ever.

It was a one-way ticket, but that was still a nice gesture...

the_bird said:
It was a one-way ticket, but that was still a nice gesture...

lol-a9d.jpg

So I just bought four kegs off of eBay for a total of just under $75 ($44 for the kegs, $30.60 for shipping).

The wife gave me a talking to last night about how she wanted me to get the kegs ASAP so I can get rid of the bottles, and I had to obey. So I got the Pepsi style kegs.

I'm going to follow the idea of renting a Co2 tank.

Now I need to get a faucet and convert the fridge.

What kind of stuff will I need to clean and prep the kegs for use?

Do you have any PBW? That stuff worked great for me.

I took my kegs all the way apart (even pulled the poppits out), changed all the O-rings, and did a standard wash and sanatize for all the parts

For the keg, I filled it with 5 gal mixture of PBW. I used the brush and went at it. After that, I let it sit for a half hour or so full of the cleaner. Then, I put a bucket over the top (to cover the hole) and flipped it over. This allows the top to soak.

I followed the same - soak - flip - soak thing for sanatizer.

Then, just reassemble and you're done.

rdwj said:
I took my kegs all the way apart (even pulled the poppits out), changed all the O-rings, and did a standard wash and sanatize for all the parts

For the keg, I filled it with 5 gal mixture of PBW. I used the brush and went at it. After that, I let it sit for a half hour or so full of the cleaner. Then, I put a bucket over the top (to cover the hole) and flipped it over. This allows the top to soak.

I followed the same - soak - flip - soak thing for sanatizer.

Then, just reassemble and you're done.

Thanks. I'll buy the PBW and probably some new O-ring kits. Do I need any special tools to take them apart? How abotu for the poppets? I've never played with kegs before.

I'm so excited - no more bottling! What I'm really excited about is knowing that I'll have good carbonation to my specifications. I'm sick of undercarbonated bottles. Sick, I tells ya. I have a Hefe that's been in a secondary for months now because I want it bubbly, so I've been waiting for a keg. Also have a mead and a cyser ready to keg.

Now I just need to wait a few more months before hitting up the old lady for an All Grain kit.

Cheesefood said:
Thanks. I'll buy the PBW and probably some new O-ring kits. Do I need any special tools to take them apart? How abotu for the poppets? I've never played with kegs before.

You'll need either a 7/8 or 11/16 closed end wrench or deep socket. I purchased 4 kegs from Morebeer.com and got two kegs of each size posts so I have to use both size wrenches.

Once you unscrew the posts, the dip tubes can be pulled out. The poppets just pop out.

I used Oxiclean Free to clean mine out. Got it at Lowe's. It worked great. Pulled the posts & tubes, tookem outside, put a scoop in and filled them up with water and let them sit for a few hours. Works great and is pretty cheap!

Cheesefood said:
When my wife was 3 months pregnant, she bought me a plane ticket to Amsterdam so that I could have a fun 30th birthday with my best friend. Since then I've come to realize that I have the best wife ever.

Lucky Guy! Did she include tickets to the infamous Banana Bar? :cross:

Cheesefood said:

And she gave me the best present ever - my son.

Ehhh, she knew about the red light district...or was that her purpose?

Cheesefood said:

I'm so excited - no more bottling! What I'm really excited about is knowing that I'll have good carbonation to my specifications. I'm sick of undercarbonated bottles. Sick, I tells ya. I have a Hefe that's been in a secondary for months now because I want it bubbly, so I've been waiting for a keg. Also have a mead and a cyser ready to keg.

Now I just need to wait a few more months before hitting up the old lady for an All Grain kit.

Like mentioned above, you're going to need a deep socket or wrench. I had a set of deep sockets, so I didn't have to buy one, but that's the way to go.

One thing to look out for, and I'm not exactly sure how to visually tell the difference yet, but the gas (in) assembly and the beer (out) assembly are a little different. The grey connector for the gas won't fit on the out and vice-versa.

The poppets are the same - the difference lies in the assembly. So, make sure to attach the proper disconnects to the in and out sides just to make sure you have them on the right side before putting beer in the keg!

Ya, I've been hinting about AG too. It's still a while off for me, but I'm going to start collecting stuff I know I'll need

Exo said:
Ehhh, she knew about the red light district...or was that her purpose?

Last time I went there, I stayed in the RLD. That place is SHAAAADY. This time we stayed in the Leidesplein area which is a ton of fun. We walked to the RLD when we needed stuff.

I don't get how people use those girls. Outside their doors, there are lines of scumbags from around the world waiting their turn. Who wants sloppy seconds from an infected scumbag?

Anyway, thanks for the info on kegging. I'm stoked.

Haha, you lucky bastard getting to keg. I have 4 batches that need to be bottled now. Wanna help? heh!

Back