Beer Tastes "Thin" (in primary after 1.5 weeks)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryforsenate

Reaction score
So, I just siphoned some beer from the primary and tasted. It feels a little thin.....and taste is very mild.

I was wondering, have y'all noticed dramatic taste/mouthfeel changes after carbonating?

And is there anything to add to the primary that would increase mouthfeel and thickness/flavor?

btw, the questions seem silly because this is my first beer. Recipe follows

8.5 pounds Golden Promise Malt
.5 pounds Maris Otter
6oz Aromatic Malt
2oz Flaked Rice
2oz White Wheat

90 minute boil

Amarillo hops, 1oz at beginning of boil and 1oz 45 minutes in

saaz, 1oz added at last 15 minutes

wyeast american ale 1056

Almost everyone notices that uncarbonated beer is thin and watery. Taste and mouth feel WILL change with aging and carbonation.

*wipes sweat off brow*

That's good to know. It has a great hop aroma but is only mildly bitter. Exactly what I was shooting for as far as hops go.

I'll agree that uncarbonated beer definitely has a thin feel to it, especially if it's at fermentation temps.

I added a half pound of dextrin malt to my last brew (5 gallon batch) and I think it made a significant improvement to the mouthfeel. Probably too late for this batch, but maybe for the next one...

Back