Extra Beer After Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefsmurph

Reaction score
I have read that one of the most important things to remember is to never dump beer unless you are sure that it is undrinkable. Well I just finished bottling my first batch and everything looks great. However, after accidentally breaking one of the 24 22oz bottles (need a a bottle tree) and filling the remaining, I had about a gallon of beer left.

Any ideas on what I should do with this perfectly fine beer without any more bottles?

And on a second note, I forgot to add my priming sugar to my bottling bucket until after I had siphoned everything in the fermented. Could this create some exploding bottles because maybe some of the bottles got less than average amounts of priming sugar while others maybe much more?

Go buy a case of beer with pop off lids and get busy!!

And you should be fine with the sugar added late, but if you're worried, store the bottles in something that will contain the mess if needed.

If you have some plastic soda (any carbonated beverage) bottles handy, you could bottle what's left in those. If you can't get any bottles within a few hours, put the lid back on the bottling bucket and give the sugar a few days to ferment out - securing more bottles in the meantime - then reprime with another ounce of corn sugar and bottle the balance. If your sanitization was good you should be okay.

Did you (gently) stir in your priming sugar a bit after adding to the beer? If not, you could have a problem with inconsistent carbonation but it's not a given.

the other day I bottle a beer from my 6.5 gallon primary into a 5 gallon bottling carboy. it wouldn't all fit - about 1/2 gallon left. I just dumped part of the remaining into a champagne bottle with a bit of sugar for priming. I bet it'll be fine. Just get more bottles, you should always have a few extra when bottling. Of course, now i have to realize that I need a bigger bottling carboy/bucket...

If you have some plastic soda (any carbonated beverage) bottles handy, you could bottle what's left in those. If you can't get any bottles within a few hours, put the lid back on the bottling bucket and give the sugar a few days to ferment out - securing more bottles in the meantime - then reprime with another ounce of corn sugar and bottle the balance. If your sanitization was good you should be okay.

I'd be nervous about waiting only a couple of days for the sugar to ferment out. Any fermentation at this point would be very slow. Of course this would depend on how long it sat in the secondary. It may be better to store in the fridge until he can get more bottles. It's only a gallon and the fridge should delay fermentation for at least a few days (probably much longer). The container could just be a gallon pitcher.

I have read that one of the most important things to remember is to never dump beer unless you are sure that it is undrinkable. Well I just finished bottling my first batch and everything looks great. However, after accidentally breaking one of the 24 22oz bottles (need a a bottle tree) and filling the remaining, I had about a gallon of beer left.

Any ideas on what I should do with this perfectly fine beer without any more bottles?QUOTE]

Drink it:mug:

If you have some plastic soda (any carbonated beverage) bottles handy, you could bottle what's left in those.

This.

I keep a handful of 2l soda bottles on hand for this (and other) purposes. It's quick and easy to sanitize one, toss extra beer from keg-filling in it, and carb it up. There's no reason you couldn't do the same with natural carbonation.

They're also good for transporting beer, holding yeast cakes, chilling a fermenter, and a myriad of other uses. I've been known to by 2l of cheapo club soda and dump it, just to get at the bottle.

Back