Coffee Lovers!!!! Have you ever tried...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Kopi Luwak or even Kopi Muncak?

Amazingly, I almost did! Although, at the time I didn't know what it was.

I have to say I am conflicted now. Given it's popularity and it's, umm, uniqueness I feel regretful that I hadn't but, now that I do know how it is "processed" I am not sure I could knowingly attempt to try it.

I have had the beer brewed with it. My wife works at the local coffee roaster and the owner is quite into beer and (obviously) coffee. So yesterday I went down there to share my bottle of Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel. I also took a bottle of Founders Breakfast Stout to try along side of it. The two of us, my wife and a couple of his employees drank them, and it was unanimous that the Founders was considerably better. The Weasel's aroma had slight chocolate but was dominated by alcohol, I got zero coffee from the nose. The flavor was pretty roasty with malt and alcohol flavors being pretty even in their intensity. I didn't get any coffee till the very end of the swallow and it certainly didn't stand out as a better than normal coffee. I would like to know what percentage of the coffee used in that beer was actually Kopi Luwak. Near the end I started to run into little chunks of a gelatinous texture. Not sure if this was bottle conditioned but it wasn't just yeast settlement and it certainly wasn't appealing.

Mikkeller is far better at novelty marketing than actually making great beer. They are extremely hit or miss. This beer was a brilliant gimmick, and right now the beer community is eating it up, but it will run its course in the next couple months and will no longer be the hot thing to get.

Yeah, that's just gross. I've heard of it, and would probably try it, but still gross.

Yep, I've tried it. Indonesian beans have a reputation for being 'funky' to begin with, though. It's a unique cup, for sure, but the price/lb is beyond criminal.

If I had the opportunity, I'd try it. But like flayangler says, the price is idiotic, so even if by some crazy off-chance you do find some, it'll be like paying for a glass of 40 year old first-growth Bordeaux.

I might try some if it were free, but there are many, many things on my coffee want list above animal processed coffee.

My wife and I try to travel to Malaysia once every couple of years which is just across the strait from Indonesia. I have seen this stuff in quite a few places. Exchange rate is usually around 4:1 (3.5:1 currently) so, the price point becomes less rediculous in that it's more like a domestic StarBucks ( I know, I know).

But the concept.........

I think it'd be interesting to try and be able to say "Yeah, I have done that" but it's not something I'd hang a ribbon on.

I've been to Sumatra and tried the kopi they sell in restaurants and stalls. Funny as it seems, and given the fact that they grow some of the best coffee in the world, the stuff they sell is instant and looks like Nestles Quick and tastes terrible. I guess the good stuff is for export.

I've been to Sumatra and tried the kopi they sell in restaurants and stalls. Funny as it seems, and given the fact that they grow some of the best coffee in the world, the stuff they sell is instant and looks like Nestles Quick and tastes terrible. I guess the good stuff is for export.

Nescafe' Classic Instant is a staple in my household for the makings of White Coffee, a favorite among Malays. It's horrible stuff when served black.

I saw a deal on discovery channel all about coffee. They talked about this stuff and sent it through a tasting panel. They said that it was rated the same as many low grade coffees. The quote that they ended with was "poop coffee tastes like poopy coffee"

Personally, I like Juan Valdez. My wife or I usually pick up several pounds whenever we go to Columbia.

I've had Brazilian Jacu Bird coffee. Same idea.

I think the reason the cat excriment coffee tastes bad is because the Palm Civet lives in a region that produces Robusto beans. In my experience, Rubosto beans taste like crap BEFORE a cat eats them.

On the other hand Jacu Birds live on farms that produce arabica beans. Since the birds have a taste for only the ripest beans, the farmers just go around and pick up the droppings instead of harvesting.

The Jacu Bird coffee was good. I don't think its nearly as expensive as the Palm Civet coffee either.

There is another one that you missed:

Jacu Bird Turd Brew

As for cost per pound I think the Panama Esmeralda Geisha beans top the crop @ $125.00 per pound. And that is at raw green prices.

Panama Esmeralda Geisha

Well, aside from I had never heard of them before I hadn't really missed them. I was referring only to the ones that I have had the opportunity to pass on trying.

But still, it defies reason on how much can be paid by "otherwise normal" people to drink animal crap. It's kinda like picking out the bits of corn that don;t digest and marketing them as a "gourmet corn".

Boggles the mind on how acceptable this actually is.

Wow, someone is getting ripped off there it seems.

Here is what Sweet Maria's has to say about the Jacu Bird coffee
Over the years, the Kopi Luwak issue is raised occasionally, i.e. the pariah coffee: Yes, it's a novelty, but the cup quality of the mostly Robusta Kopi Luwak is very poor. From this, many customers have assumed we stood on firm moral high-ground and would never stoop so low as to offer animal-excreted coffee. AHA! Your were wrong! We like all the infantile poop jokes just as much as the next person! Truly, the main problem with the Luwak is the lousy cup, the ridiculous price, and (in recent years) my concern that people are actually forcing this poor little Civet Cat to eat the coffee. So here we have the South America antithesis: Jacu Bird coffee. This is something I had heard of on my travels, but the reality of stocking a small amount of this coffee only arose after conversations with one of our partners from Brazil. The Camocim and Atalaia Farms are populated with a native South American Jacu Bird. These indigenous creatures are vegetarians, inhabiting forested plantations (shade grown coffee areas) and feasting on the ripe coffee cherries: It is a natural selection process of quality coffee. The farm owner, Henrique Sloper wrote this, "As a supporter of the natural flora and fauna of the farm, Camocim welcomes the Jacu Bird as a member of the farm’s agro-florestal system. Rather that think of the Jacu Bird as a pest, eating our finest coffee cherries, we saw the opportunity to employ the Jacu Bird as one of our finest manual coffee pickers. Once ingested, the Jacu Bird, eliminates the digested beans which lie on the ground under the coffee trees. Our staff collects these odorless droppings, transports them to the drying areas where they are dried, cleaned and stored in their parchment for up to three months." Note his comment: the coffee comes out of the Jacu in parchment, not as hulled green bean. While Kopi Luwak cups like low grade industrial robusta, the Jacu Bird coffee has a good mild Brazil specialty-level cup. Understand me: I am not saying this has some crazy cup character; it is a nice cup resulting from a very unique, er, process. The dry fragrance has a soft nutty sweetness to it, while the wet aromatics has a bit of molasses and brown bread. There is a slight black pepper note in the finish. The body is fairly heavy; it's good natural Brazil coffee. This year is better than last, and we had the green coffee vacuum-packed at origin to assure the freshness and cup character. I will leave much of the jokes about this Jacu coffee to you, but one you CAN make about Kopi Luwak that you cannot make about our Jacu Bird coffee: it does NOT taste like crap. It is a nice, low-acid, mild, rustic cup.

Since it was in the archive, they didn't have any prices. I tried this coffee last fall in a class devoted to the cultivation, processing and brewing of coffee, tea, beer, wine and chocolate. Our professor actually bought and roasted all the coffee we tasted from Sweet Marias. If the price was any more than $10/lb green, I seriously doubt she would have bought it.

Back