Super Cheap Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerocd

Reaction score
OK - first off it's Bud, but hey they're practically paying you to drink it.
I just bought a 12 of Bud Select (because they didn't have a 12 of the Ale) for $7.99 then you buy some steaks or seafood (minimum $15 purchase) send in the receipts and UPC and they'll send you back $15 !!!! :tank: :mug: :drunk:

So worst case you got some for pizza dough, or marinade, or boiling brats.

-OCD

very nice, nothing like pounding down buds with a good meal

great idea, I will have SWMBO go and stock up for the summer, that way all of my homebrew is reserved for people that are in the know, leaving the Bud for the others and I will get a handsome refund ............

Meh. Better than coors.

Kinda.

But thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm at the store. Free beer is free beer... even if it ends up in the gut of someone else.

Check the coupon. For many of those coupons on the beer displays you don't actually have to buy the beer. If that's the case, its generally state by state as to whether or not you actually have to purchase the beer or just the seafood/meat/ice/water or whatever else the promotion is.

The SWMBO does this all the time.

I'll take 12 Bud. I can make beer can chicken out of it, or keep on hand in case our water main bursts.

Not really sure what Bud "select" is though. I guess the regular Bud is just "unselect", or "nonselect"?

OK - first off it's Bud, but hey they're practically paying you to drink it....

So worst case you got some for pizza dough, or marinade, or boiling brats.

Has anyone tried Bud for pizza dough? I've tried other commercial brews (Molson Canadian) and have found there was some kind of preservative that prevented the yeast from rising. I've had great success using homebrew (no preservatives!) but anytime i try a commercial beer my bread yeast just won't wake up.

Has anyone tried Bud for pizza dough? I've tried other commercial brews (Molson Canadian) and have found there was some kind of preservative that prevented the yeast from rising. I've had great success using homebrew (no preservatives!) but anytime i try a commercial beer my bread yeast just won't wake up.

Not sure why it doesn't work. I thought that the carbonation was the main reason for using beer. There isn't much stuff in there for yeast to use since the beer has already used it up!

I think the reason for using beer is it imparts a nice 'twang' to the crust.

The yeast (bread yeast here) I assume eat the sugars in the flour as it will rise just fine with water. The issue i've found is baking with big-brewery beer is that there is some preservative in it that will actually kill my bread yeast! I've tried it two or three times and have been sadly disappointed by an unrisen dough ball. Better to use homebrew (or microbrew) where you know there are no yeast killing chemicals.

I think the reason for using beer is it imparts a nice 'twang' to the crust.

The yeast (bread yeast here) I assume eat the sugars in the flour as it will rise just fine with water. The issue i've found is baking with big-brewery beer is that there is some preservative in it that will actually kill my bread yeast! I've tried it two or three times and have been sadly disappointed by an unrisen dough ball. Better to use homebrew (or microbrew) where you know there are no yeast killing chemicals.

Have you tried using the tempura method? Try adding the beer when it's ICE cold if you haven't already. Might want to add some additional sugar as well.

Back