Apfelwein Fun!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Ok, I decided to start a batch of apfelwein and thought I could do some experimenting as well.

Batch Stats:

2gal size
6 cans of frozen apple concentrate
1lb corn sugar

Fun part:

I want to better understand beer yeast strains so I started one batch with Montrachet yeast and started the other batch with Safbrew T-58. The T-58 is supposed to be spicy/peppery. The goal is to use the supposed neutral palate of apfelwein to discern the yeast properties. After 5days I will pitch 1/2 pack of Montrachet yeast to do a sort of secondary fermentation to ensure the alcohol content is the same as the control batch.

The fun part is experimenting with all of the interesting dry yeast strains out there. Next will be Windsor and maybe something esle. Maybe a hefe strain with enhanced banana profile. :D

Who knows, the phenolic characters of the beer yeasts plus the cleanness of Montrachet will make for some interesting apfelwein variants.

Ok now I off to smell the airlock again :ban::ban:

wow thats a TON of fermentables. your OG has to be over 1.100, did you take a reading? i doubt any ale yeast will take that even close to dry

wow thats a TON of fermentables. your OG has to be over 1.100, did you take a reading? i doubt any ale yeast will take that even close to dry

LOL! That is point of apfelwein!

I followed the directions on the concentrate containers. 3cans for 1 gal of juice.

T-58 can handle up to 11% if I remember correctly, but when the beer yeast quits the Montrachet will continue working:rockin:

I decided not to take any readings, mostly because I have no hydrometer. I could use the refractometer at work but home is where I can be less precise. :)

oh my bad, i thought you used two gallons juice PLUS all that concentrate!:cross:
yeah man should be nice, especially the one with the beer yeast

Nope,

The beer yeast was just fine. There has been a number of observations that Montrachet + Apple juice creates an aroma lovingly dubbed: Rhino farts:drunk:

I just racked these over and they smell really good now. The beer yeast added a new dimension to the AW. I can see the spicy character attributed to T-58. I had to try a sample of each and even green they are both good.

Can't wait to see them great:rockin:

I think this will be my way of understanding the contributions of the yeast from now on.

Whoever said that Ed's apfelwein got you drunk at warp-speed was 100% correct.

I don't have any montrachet at the moment, anyone else use a different wine yeast for apfelwein?

I have my first batch fermenting like crazy in my basement and we are approaching day 5. The smell was there, but quite frankly I have a boxer and this stuff doesn't hold a candle to the dog's gas (after a few homebrews SWMBO's gas isn't much better come to think of it). All in all I don't know what the big deal is.

I'm wanting to play with a batch myself. I have a pound of Golden Raisons I plan to chop up, three pounds of ripe cherries that will be crushed, a three pound can of Cherry Fruit Puree', a pound of corn sugar and some montrachet yeast. I am planning to combine all this in a primary fermenter with three or five gallons of apple juice. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Would three gallons be to tart or five gallons to thin? Should I add a little tannic acid and pectic enzyme at the start? How about mixing it together and let it sit for twenty-four hours with some campden tablets before pitching the yeast. Then after about 10 days rack to a secondary?

Everyones thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Another random experiment:
Most of the added sugar for my last batch came from apple juice concentrate. I think I miscalculated the gravity of the concentrate at first, so it started off a little high, but then a few very hot days apparently killed the yeast and it stopped dead at 1.020. It's super appley, thick, sweet, and I think when it ages a bit it'll go down just like unfermented apple juice with a little bit of a kick to it. Could be dangerous.

Back