beer bottle score - can I cap them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodfatherX

Reaction score
So, I picked up a nice score of beer bottles tonight at my local beer garden.

Should all my bottles be capable if I get a bench capper?

For example not only did I partake of a hobgoblin for the 1st time tonight, but I also picked up 2 other HG bottles from there the 18 ozers. I got a youngs oatmeal stout 18 oz a couple of 22 oz bottles, some anchor bottles, and some new belgium bottles. Will I have a problem capping any of these if I plan of picking up a bench capper from ebay soon?

A bench or wing capper will cap any of those bottles. Wing cappers have problems with some twistoffs, as a lot don't have the lip at the bottom for them to grab, but some do.

I've only not been able to cap one type of bottle (outside, of course, of the 16mm belgian style), from Adnams, because the little catch ring for the wing capper to grab onto is so low.

Should all my bottles be capable if I get a bench capper?

A benchcapper will cap most anything that uses the right size crown caps. Wingcappers can have troubles with some shapes.

Some folks even use twistoffs with a benchcapper. My preliminary testing indicates it should work ok although the bottles seem to be thinner. Maybe I'll use them for giveaways.

I have 6 Hobgoblin bottles that I can cap no problem with the red wing capper. Although I am pretty sure that they are 12oz bottles.

Back