Late DME addition...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less caramelization, which will in turn make your color lighter. I think there's some benefit to adding a small amount at the beginning of the boil to improve hops utilization, but most of it can be added late.

You also want to keep in mind if you are using a pre-hopped DME, then your IBUs will be different (usually higher) if you add the DME late in the boil.

It helps with color, but lots of people who use extract find that it also helps reduce the 'twang' that you can get from using extract. I think the basic idea is that since extract has been 'cooked' once, much of the sugar has been converted. This means when you add it to your 60 minute boil, the sugars are basically being cooked again and thus you run the risk of caramelizing the sugars. If this happens the sugars wont be converted by the yeast, effecting the flavor because it will lend a sweet/burnt flavor to your beer.

Extract beers by nature are darker that their all grain counterparts, it's inherent in the creation of the extract itself, especially liquid.

So late extract addition lessens the risk of carmalization.

Add only approximately 2-3 pounds of your extract in the beginning of the boil to isomerize the alpha acids of the hops, and add the remaining bulk of the extract in the last 15 minutes to steralize it. This keeps the extract from further carmelizing during the boil and darkening further.

I thought the LME was what you should leave until the last 15 mins, not the DME. I did that.

Then I started another wheat extract kit, and other than the hops, there is only the two cans of LME (+ the brew vint Alc boost I add).

Now what am I boiling and why? Only thing in the pot for the 1st 15 -45 minutes would be hops. That McCAIN'T be right!

Sincerely,
Noob Ignoranus, desperately clawing my way out of the primorial ooze of my own inexperience to beervana

I thought the LME was what you should leave until the last 15 mins, not the DME. I did that.

Then I started another wheat extract kit, and other than the hops, there is only the two cans of LME (+ the brew vint Alc boost I add).

Now what am I boiling and why? Only thing in the pot for the 1st 15 -45 minutes would be hops. That McCAIN'T be right!

Sincerely,
Noob Ignoranus, desperately clawing my way out of the primorial ooze of my own inexperience to beervana

I believe since ALL extracts regardless of liquid or dry were BOILED already then it's best not to add to the carmelization factor... DME is LME that has been dried in a specialy way....so it's cooked down wort first...

With 2 canned kits I would usually add the first can for hop utilization, and the second one later...You won't get proper hops utilization boiling them just in water.

Back