Does my aerator work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjbatt

Reaction score
I bought a Whisper aerator from MoreBeer and tried it out yesterday. Should I be able to see bubbles coming out of it in my fermenter? The instructions cautioned against excessive foaming but it did not produce any foam at all and no visible bubbles while it ran. Oh, and, the pump was plugged in, it was vibrating and making some sound, and I could see a few very small, very slow bubbles when I later checked the stone in my sanitizer. It just didn't seem to be doing much when it was in my fermenter...

The instructions cautioned against excessive foaming but it did not produce any foam at all and no visible bubbles while it ran.
When I used a pump and air stone, I got what's in the photo below. I'd think you would see something.

FearTheFoam.jpg

Rick

If you aren't doing it already, make sure your airline and airstone are dry. A low volume aquarium pump doesn't seem to be able to force water through the airstone.

I boil my airstone before and after using and allow to dry (wrapped in a paper towl)

I dipped the stone and tubing (just up to the filter) in sanitizer right before i put it in the fermenter so that must have slowed the flow. Do you put it in straight from removing the paper towel?

Back