Start-up Kegging Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
I was told last night that a Fathers Day gift is in order and I would like to venture into the world of kegging. I'm looking for some advice from the experienced as to which way I should go. Should I just buy one of the 1 or 2 corny keg kits from any one of the online vendors or should I try to piece it together myself? I realize there could be some cost savings in getting a CO2 tank locally, but what about the rest of the equipment? I'd also (probably) like to expand into a multiple keg system & keezer eventually, would the kit equipment prevent me from doing so? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

I would get the 2 corny kit from midwest supplies with the CO2 tank. They have the cheapest price I've found. That's what I did and actually, I just bought 2 more kegs from them.

Can you expand off of it easily? Did you have to buy any additional parts or replace/upgrade any of them to add the additional kegs? Picnic faucets or taps?

I kinda pieced my setup together. Just because I found a couple local suppliers. I would definitely go for at least 2 kegs. I found 4 on ebay for $100 with free shipping. I guess the amount of kegs all depends on how much you brew. I can normally keep all 4 full (and have some in bottles) with 10 gal batches every few weeks. Keep in mind sometimes you can find a sweeter deal on Craigslist. I've heard of some serious scores from Craigslist. I picked up my regulator online, but my CO2 tank I got from the local beverage vending supplier and hoses, taps, clamps etc from my local homebrew store. It's pretty easy to expand once you get the basic kit - like the ones at midwest or morebeer

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7738

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18190/102298/Basic_Homebrew_Draft_System

To expand, put in a gas manifold and add picnic tap for each keg (if that's what you want to use). A more elaborate setup would be to get the through fridge shanks for each keg and a gas manifold/splitter or a tower with taps if you are making a mini kegerator. The possibilities are endless. It all depends on what you are working with.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16265//Faucet_Knob_And_Shank_Combo

Don't forget, you'll probably need an extra fridge too. Believe me - it's all worth it. :rockin:

Still confused if I should do a kit or piece it together...what about the CO2 cylinder, is it better to find one local?

i have been looking around and unless you find one on CL i would get the one from midwest get the 2 keg setup it's pretty sweet deal and most likely what im going to go with. that's my 2 cents also yes you can expand on them

I think a kit is the way to go if you have not kegged before. To expand the kit in the future is pretty easy, you just need more taps, kegs, lines, and a CO2 manifold. A lot of people get the kit from Midwest. I bought a kit from Kegconnection. If you find a good deal locally for a CO2 tank then just drop the tank from the kit. Try a welding supply store to check prices on CO2.

Back