Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming that many of the representatives who vote against the bill are republicans. If my republican representative voted against a bill that would legalize homebrewing, I would ask him why he is promoting government regulations which stifle job creation (opening homebrew shops), when the official platform of the republican party says the following:

"While small businesses have significantly contributed to the nation’s economic growth, our government has failed to meet its small business goals year after year and failed to overcome burdensome regulatory, contracting, and capital barriers."

We have also stirred up the #1 opponent of the Bill. ALCAP released their first Alert addressing HB9 today.

For anyone who does not know, ALCAP is the self titled Moral Compass of Alabama. They claim to know what is best for everyone in the state. If you are a church going person, please take a moment to speak with your church leaders about responsible use of alcohol and the personal rights and liberties you should be afforded. Also remind them that the muscadine wine that Grandma has made for the last 50 years would land her in jail right now.

If you are interested, here is the latest ALCAP alert:

2013 Alabama Legislative Session - Your Help is Needed

The only hope we have of stopping two very important "pro-alcohol" bills that will likely be introduced in the 2013 Alabama State Legislative Session is for church members to contact their House Members and State Senators and ask them to oppose these bills. The first bill is a bill that will privatize the sale of alcoholic beverages in Alabama and do away with the ABC Stores. The argument is that "Alabama needs to get out of the liquor business," but ALCAP's position is that Alabama is not in the liquor business, we are in the control business. Go to the "Links" page at www.alcap.com to find reasons and resources for opposing privatization of liquor sales.

The second "pro-alcohol" bill that has already been pre-filed is a House bill (HB9), introduced by Rep. Mac McCutcheon (R-Capshaw). This bill, if passed, will legalize home-brewing of beer and mead (click here for a news report on this bill). A similar bill passed the House last year, but died in the Senate as time ran out on the legislative calendar. The home-brewers have been calling legislators in large numbers, pushing for passage of this bill, while the churches have remained relatively silent. If we have any hope of stopping this bill, pastors and church members must let their voices be heard by the legislators.

ALCAP opposes home-brewing on the basis that there will be no way to police the private production of alcoholic beverages in one's private residence. Alcohol is a mind-altering and addictive drug that destroys lives and families. There is no good reason to allow individuals to legally produce this dangerous drug in the privacy of their own homes.

Please take time to contact your House member and State Senator and ask him/her to oppose both the liquor privatization bill and the home-brew bill when each comes up for a vote. We need to flood the offices of State Legislators with our opinions on these issues. Be courteous and respectful, but let them know what you think. To find the name and contact information for your legislators, go to www.alcap.com and follow the appropriate links.

I'm assuming that many of the representatives who vote against the bill are republicans. If my republican representative voted against a bill that would legalize homebrewing, I would ask him why he is promoting government regulations which stifle job creation (opening homebrew shops), when the official platform of the republican party says the following:

"While small businesses have significantly contributed to the nation’s economic growth, our government has failed to meet its small business goals year after year and failed to overcome burdensome regulatory, contracting, and capital barriers."

We passed the House last year with a 44-33 margin. I can't find the tally we pulled together on who was for and who was against right off hand, I'll have to dig for it some more.

I can say that the bulk of the NAY votes were from neo-prohibitionists who feel that Alcohol in and of itself is a sin, not the choice to over-indulge and act irresponsibly.

There are also a few representatives who are from districts where alcohol is rarely treated with the respect it has to be treated with. They vote NAY because it is in the best interest of their district to do as much as possible to keep alcohol away.

Where do I start and where do I stop in a thread with alving 'the chump' holmes, baggy pants bans, 'the church', 'Alabama is in the control business (no crap Sherlock, it's how the state/government exist via violence, coercion, and control), constituents vs politicians, political will, and more?

Just a note if for example the constituents want something that is clearly outside of the governing rules such as a constitution in a representative republic the representative is under NO obligation to aquiesse. (I know not the point of a prior poster/not picking a fight) Wanted to make the larger and far more important point that not only is the best government that which governs least, but that decisions based upon a philosophy of liberty in conjunction with a historical and modern understanding of governing documents are FAR superior to anything else mankind's wisdom has to offer! Don't make me quote Lysander Spooner's letter to Grover Cleveland up in here!:fro:

We have also stirred up the #1 opponent of the Bill. ALCAP released their first Alert addressing HB9 today.

For anyone who does not know, ALCAP is the self titled Moral Compass of Alabama. They claim to know what is best for everyone in the state. If you are a church going person, please take a moment to speak with your church leaders about responsible use of alcohol and the personal rights and liberties you should be afforded. Also remind them that the muscadine wine that Grandma has made for the last 50 years would land her in jail right now.

If you are interested, here is the latest ALCAP alert:

As for ALCAP, thank God, yes the God of Abraham, Isaac, & Moses they are AL and not MS-cap. ;) However we have a little thing called AFA or American Family Association, the very southern baptist oriented group out of Tupelo that brought the nation the 7-naughty words rule for the FCC and more boycotts than the civil rights movement, along with countless other absurdities!

The 'genius' senator/politician in MS didn't let the beer bills out of committee year before last and I quote, 'because I don't want our members to have to vote on alcohol bills in an election year.' I feel truly sorry for anyone whom sees elected officials as their or societies' 'leader', sadly I figure that covers a vast majority of US society.

Signed a bible believing minister of God in a major mainline denomination whom believes God grants freewill to humankind to both his betterment and destruction. (after all if God granted such liberty governments are wrong to restrict it) Of course a failure to see this perspective is one of the issues driving the moral busy body denominations (modern puritans) to impose their vision upon the rest of us as if they're the ordained governance and voice of God to society, never understanding how their stubbornness pushes more people away from truth than it attracts.... okay I've said to much, but it's true!

There are also a few representatives who are from districts where alcohol is rarely treated with the respect it has to be treated with. They vote NAY because it is in the best interest of their district to do as much as possible to keep alcohol away.

You make a VERY fair point here. My denominations' traditions trace their roots to John Wesley and the Church of England. Wesley was staunchly anti-alcohol, but had quite the good reason to be. Roughly during his time of ministry in England not only was a society on the brink of bloody civil disturbances and probable civil war, but for ever 7 citizens in the city of London there was 1 gin shop. Alcoholism was amazingly rampant playing no small role in ripping that society from it's foundations.

However in our modern perspective, softened with time, my denomination suggest that due to the dangers of alcohol it's advisable people abstain. However in honest fashion the denomination holds it's people/clergy to the biblical standard of non-abusive/moderate use, accepting the truth of the bible that alcohol was a part of daily living in the ancient world.

This has nothing to do with republicans and democrats. Last year and this year's hombrew bill was and is sponsored by republicans and had bipartisan sponsorship. Anyone who is against it is the enemy regardless of party affiliation.

This has nothing to do with republicans and democrats. Last year and this year's hombrew bill was and is sponsored by republicans and had bipartisan sponsorship. Anyone who is against it is the enemy regardless of party affiliation.

I know that republicans aren't solely to blame; I'm just saying that republicans who do vote against the bill are being hypocritical. It annoys me to hear people say, "I'm against regulation," and then go out of their way to regulate or stop alcohol, gambling, or any other activity they don't like.

I know that republicans aren't solely to blame; I'm just saying that republicans who do vote against the bill are being hypocritical. It annoys me to hear people say, "I'm against regulation," and then go out of their way to regulate or stop alcohol, gambling, or any other activity they don't like.

Hear, hear.

Of course, Democrats being against it is equally hypocritical; how can the "socially lenient" party suggest that they have the right to tell me what I can and cannot drink?

Here is some data for your enjoyment. I can't take credit for the map, another supporter complied it. I did compile the tally though, so if you see an error, let me know and I will correct it.

2012homebrew.jpg

2012 Vote Tally.jpg

It doesn't matter who is being hypocritical. It doesn't matter why they are being hypocritical. That argument is for another place and time.
There are only the ones who are for and the ones who are against.

The only reason any politician has to vote against this bill is if their constituents are against it.

If a congressperson against a certain thing for whatever reason, but his/her district makes it clear they are pretty much for it, then he/she has no business voting against it.

Like civil rights for minorities?

There's a reason direct democracies don't work. "Majority rules" is a lamb and 2 wolves voting on what's for dinner.

Like civil rights for minorities?

There's a reason direct democracies don't work. "Majority rules" is a lamb and 2 wolves voting on what's for dinner.

I see your point. After re-reading what I wrote, I can see where that would cause problems.

Therefore, I retract my previous statement.

The only reason any politician has to vote against this bill is if their constituents are against it.

And if you are in a district that is red on the map above, the ONLY way your representative knows that they need to vote in favor of the bill is if you call, write, and e-mail them letting them know that they should vote yes.

As I said previously, most of the representatives who spoke against our bill did so on religious grounds. If you are a member of a church, please speak to your church leaders, if they support YOUR PERSONAL PROPERTY RIGHTS and INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS please ask them to call their Representatives and voice their support.

This is a fight against "the few" who will stand up and yell and scream and take away the rights of "the many" using all the false information and rhetoric they can.

I wrote and called my Representative and Senator last year as well as the Senate President Pro Tempore to try to get him to get the bill to a vote in the Senate. I will do so again this year.When he is up for reelection, I will not vote for my Representative, Randy Davis. He has voted no or abstained on all alcohol related votes that have come before him. He has voted no on all homebrew bills.

As I said in one of the threads last year, it is a tough uphill battle. Alcohol issues are religious issues in this state. Supporting homebrewing is not a very wise political move in Alabama. Hopefully we can counter act ALCAP's lobby efforts.

photo-15.jpg

I wrote and called my Representative and Senator last year as well as the Senate President Pro Tempore to try to get him to get the bill to a vote in the Senate. I will do so again this year.When he is up for reelection, I will not vote for my Representative, Randy Davis. He has voted no or abstained on all alcohol related votes that have come before him. He has voted no on all homebrew bills.

As I said in one of the threads last year, it is a tough uphill battle. Alcohol issues are religious issues in this state. Supporting homebrewing is not a very wise political move in Alabama. Hopefully we can counter act ALCAP's lobby efforts.

photo-15.jpg

Damn fine looking glass you got there! I bet I had it on the back of my truck once. :mug:

Starting to be more and more press about HB9. The session starts in a matter of days now! (Feb. 5)

As soon as there is action on our Bill, the official Twitter and Facebook pages will release the information. I'll copy those announcements over to here as soon after that as I can.

http://www.annistonstar.com/view/full_story/21550361/article-Homebrew-bill-back-for-another-round

When the time comes every brewer in the state is going to need to call their representatives. If you don't know who yours are, you can find them here: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/misc/zipsearch.html

We expect the flow will be much like it was in the past. The committee will assign the Bill a date to be voted on. There will be a public hearing requested which will force the date to be pushed back. The committee will reassign the date and hold a public hearing. After that hearing, the committee will (hopefully) vote the Bill favorable.

From there, the Bill will have to make it to the Calendar for the House.

Then it has to make it off the Calendar and onto the floor for debate.

A passing vote would then move it over to the Senate to start the process over!

I'm very hopeful, too. Of course, I live in a dry county so I'll not be affected either way. But I won't be living here forever (and it won't be dry forever), so I'm really hoping this gets passed.

I'll not be affected either way.

Actually, you will be. Violations of the law are currently a felony with required prison time. Under the new provision, violations are dropped to a class C misdemeanor.

In the event that you were to be prosecuted, that is a very big difference!

Can't be caught agreeing with the Dems.

The weird thing is that there are many places where running as a Democrat is about the only way to get elected. I'm talking about local offices, such as county commissioner, etc. It's a holdover from the days when Republicans were synonymous with carpetbaggers. Although the two parties have virtually reversed position over the past hundred years or so, some parts of the state are slow to catch up.

Actually, you will be. Violations of the law are currently a felony with required prison time. Under the new provision, violations are dropped to a class C misdemeanor.

In the event that you were to be prosecuted, that is a very big difference!

Oh, that's good. Thanks for the info.

Which is exactly why they will never pass it.

Can't be caught agreeing with the Dems. Evil. Communist/fascist home brewers.

Cheers!

The Alabama homebrew bill has been sponsored by republicans in the house and senate, so theres that.

Man, I am hopeful. I was bitterly disappointed last year.

We have gotten a heck of a lot of good coverage this year. I have had several people come up to me and ask "did you see that spot on the news about making homebrewing legal"?
I think it's going to happen this year.

We have gotten a heck of a lot of good coverage this year.

It doesn't come easily. These guys don't just come knocking on the door wanting to do a report. Sometimes it takes a lot of calls to convince them there is interest.

If your local TV station/newspaper/radio show hasn't done a spot, call them up and ask them if they know about Right to Brew. If not, tell them you would be interested in seeing some coverage! They can direct inquiries to the e-mail form on the website, the twitter account, or the facebook page! Mac (the bill sponsor) is easily accessible to chat with them as well.

Here is another good radio spot on CNN!
http://cnnradio.cnn.com/2013/02/04/the-bible-belt-brouhaha-over-beer/?hpt=us_t2

Of you live in Alabama, make sure all of your non-homebrewing friends call/email the legislators. If you know local leaders, ask them especially. Use the links and talking points that Huff has listed.

"we dare to defend our rights!"

Good luck Bama. Just moved to Atlanta from Birmingham last year. While it's nice to not have to worry about brewing in the open, I do miss the camaraderie that comes with trying to get laws changed. I was on the phone every beer bill that came up and listening to legislative sessions while I worked. I even stomached all of Alvin Holmes ignoramous comments. Oh bama

I am from Alabama, I don't live there now but my family does and I am only 20 miles away in GA. I have shared the FB page with all my friends and I know my dad will help support this bill.

It's like the Home Brew Superbowl!
Lots o' drama for us spectators!

Mississippi? Or Alabama?
Who's gonna be the last hold-out?

Stay tuned, and good luck! ;)

It's like the Home Brew Superbowl!
Lots o' drama for us spectators!

Mississippi? Or Alabama?
Who's gonna be the last hold-out?

Stay tuned, and good luck! ;)

LOL, I've been wondering the same thing.

My money is cautiously on MS as the MS hb bills have both passed through various committees in both the house and senate and are awaiting a floor vote. VERY quick! No guarantee it'll pass, but things look good. I of course have contacted multiple people whom allegedly 'represent' me and my county... haven't heard back from any of them!

LOL, I've been wondering the same thing.

My money is cautiously on MS as the MS hb bills have both passed through various committees in both the house and senate and are awaiting a floor vote. VERY quick! No guarantee it'll pass, but things look good. I of course have contacted multiple people whom allegedly 'represent' me and my county... haven't heard back from any of them!

The one thing we have going for us is our bill is effective immediately upon signature by the Governor, where the Mississippi Bills, if I have read them correctly, would not take effect until July 1.

I agree though, MS has done some magic. To have both bills on the calendar for a floor vote in under a month is some fast action. Our session opens at noon today. Hopefully we will see some rapid movement as well!

We have a large stack of these new posters ready to start distribution to bars, tap rooms, and other craft beer outlets all over the state! Be on the lookout for them to show up in your favorite place. If you're a regular there and want to help get one on the wall, shoot me a PM and I will make arrangements to get you a copy.

r600x600.jpg

Sadly I live in Alabama , but last weekend was my fist brew days , Saturday 5 gal cream ale , Sunday 3 gal blueberry mead . I don't know if it is becouse I'm younger than all the politicians voting agians it but I see no problem with home brewing for personal use . It's not like I'm cooking meth in my back yard ??? And has there been any big home brewing busts on cops ? Lol

I don't know if it is becouse I'm younger than all the politicians voting agians it but I see no problem with home brewing for personal use

Make sure you call and email your representatives and the Governor. Also get your friends to do the same. We really need a full-court press on this. If you've never done anything political this is your chance.

:mug:

And has there been any big home brewing busts on cops ?

No, there haven't. But there have been a few folks who were politely told that their activities were against the law and that it would be a good idea if they got rid of all their supplies and equipment. There was a homebrew store that was raided by what would basically be called a SWAT team of ABC officers. There was a Veteran who was arrested, had all his equipment and firearms confiscated, based on a neighbor's phone call that said it "Looked like he was making meth" that cost several thousand in legal fees.

So no, it's not a big deal, unless you are one of the unlucky few! :confused:

I did hear about the one store close to Birmingham that got busted but I herd they are open now just not selling ingredients , I didn't hear about that guy but if that happend to me I would be taking some one to court ( to get my guns back and to get money to get more homebrew stuff ) . Last semester in speech class a guy showed us how to check the progress of bills online and how to find our reps , but I can not remember the website . Do any of you guys know it ?

Back