secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foggy486

Reaction score
Hi, I've just started brewing, im trying to brew lager can any one tell me if I need to add anything to the secondary fermentation process?

Thanks
Foggy486

foggy486 said:
Hi, I've just started brewing, im trying to brew lager can any one tell me if I need to add anything to the secondary fermentation process?

Thanks
Foggy486

Hi I'm new too

As far as I'm aware. You add sugar to the secondary fermentation to carbonate the beer. That's what I do but I've only bottled so far.

Hi I'm new too

As far as I'm aware. You add sugar to the secondary fermentation to carbonate the beer. That's what I do but I've only bottled so far.

Nope. You add the sugar to the bottling bucket just before bottling. Most people here will advise against the use of a secondary, unless you are adding something like fruit (for example). Most beers don't need a secondary.

No, you don't add anything to the carboy for lagering. The only time you add anything (sugar) is when you bottle the beer.

Sometimes, people add oak or other things but for most beers you do not.

Yooper said:
No, you don't add anything to the carboy for lagering. The only time you add anything (sugar) is when you bottle the beer.

Sometimes, people add oak or other things but for most beers you do not.

Cheers guys

I thought secondary was when it went into bottles. That's where I went wrong. Sorry for the bad info.

Ok, my lager had been fermenting for 5 days now, if I want it to clear do I filters it before it goes in the barrel and then add some carbonate capsules or does any 1 do different?

Cheers
Foggy

Back