What to do about Flat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
I've had my Dunkleweizen Kegged for a few weeks -- it pours with a nice head, but the beer is still flat.

Serving psi is at 12.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

Just wanted to also mention I am new to kegging.

Basically I "set it and forget it" at 12psi -- did not shake or roll keg intially or did not set to a higher (e.g. 30psi) intially.

Hmmm. It should be pretty well carbed by now. You could try turning the gas up to 14-15 psi and see how that is in a few days. What is the temperature of the kegerator?

Another thought I have is sort of a long short. Do you have short (under 6') beerlines? Sometimes with a short line, the beer comes out a little foamy and the top has a nice head but the beer is seemingly flat because the co2 comes out of suspension and makes a head but then the beer doesn't have enough co2 in the beer.

Yooper said:
Hmmm. It should be pretty well carbed by now. You could try turning the gas up to 14-15 psi and see how that is in a few days. What is the temperature of the kegerator?

Another thought I have is sort of a long short. Do you have short (under 6') beerlines? Sometimes with a short line, the beer comes out a little foamy and the top has a nice head but the beer is seemingly flat because the co2 comes out of suspension and makes a head but then the beer doesn't have enough co2 in the beer.

Thanks for the response Yooper.

Yes I did crank up to 15psi for a few days and just tried it last night. More foam and still flat.
The fridge is at 45f.
The beer tastes really good -- just flat as hell.

My beer line is 5ft. I don't have my tower tap installed yet-- so I'm just using the picnic tap dispenser right now.

What length beer line seems to work the best?
6ft?

Thanks. Rick

Thanks for the response Yooper.

Yes I did crank up to 15psi for a few days and just tried it last night. More foam and still flat.
The fridge is at 45f.
The beer tastes really good -- just flat as hell.

My beer line is 5ft. I don't have my tower tap installed yet-- so I'm just using the picnic tap dispenser right now.

What length beer line seems to work the best?
6ft?

Thanks. Rick

I'd say the problem is the short beer line for the amount of carbonation you have. AT 15 psi, at at 45 degrees, you should be at 2.5 volumes of Co2- about perfect. I'd change right away to 10' of 3/16" beverage line and I think your problem will be solved.

Yooper said:
I'd say the problem is the short beer line for the amount of carbonation you have. AT 15 psi, at at 45 degrees, you should be at 2.5 volumes of Co2- about perfect. I'd change right away to 10' of 3/16" beverage line and I think your problem will be solved.

Ok sounds good -- I'll check for leaks first and if no leaks. I'll buy 10 ft of 3/16" line.

I'll keep u posted-- thanks.

Rick

Yooper said:

I made a Christmas Ale recently and experienced same thing -- flat, but foamy.

Have 10 feet of tubing now and have temp at 42 degrees at 12psi.
Perfect pour and nice carbonation.
Thanks Yooper for the suggestion!

I made a Christmas Ale recently and experienced same thing -- flat, but foamy.

Have 10 feet of tubing now and have temp at 42 degrees at 12psi.
Perfect pour and nice carbonation.
Thanks Yooper for the suggestion!

I'm glad it work out so well! And thanks for reporting back with the results. It's always nice to hear the resolution.

Back