Converting Partial Boil to Full Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scanloni

Reaction score
I'm still pretty new at this stuff, so please excuse me if the answer to this question is obvious. I've done 2 True Brew kit beers so far and they both call for a partial 2 gallon boil which is later added to 3 gallons water, and that's what I've done. However, I have a large enough kettle to do a full 5 gallon boil which as far as I can tell is the preferred method. So my question is, do I simply begin with 5 gallons vs 2, and follow the procedure as usual per the kit instructions? Or are there other considerations?

(I'm aware of the fact that I'll have to cool 5 gallons of wort vs 2).

I'm still pretty new at this stuff, so please excuse me if the answer to this question is obvious. I've done 2 True Brew kit beers so far and they both call for a partial 2 gallon boil which is later added to 3 gallons water, and that's what I've done. However, I have a large enough kettle to do a full 5 gallon boil which as far as I can tell is the preferred method. So my question is, do I simply begin with 5 gallons vs 2, and follow the procedure as usual per the kit instructions? Or are there other considerations?

(I'm aware of the fact that I'll have to cool 5 gallons of wort vs 2).

You might have to adjust the hop amounts to get the right IBU's, but I'm just guessing on that...

You will get a slightly higher hop utilization and slightly less caramelization of your lme w a full 5 gallon boil.

For most 5 gallon beers the bitterness change will be negligible. If you are concerned you can use beersmith or a similar program to predict and adjust.

I started full boiling on my second brewers best kit and was very happy w all my kit results after that. Go for it and take notes.

Back