need a good cheap burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craigslist turkey fryer. They go for around $40. If you don't need the aluminum pot or accessories that come with it, turn around and sell them for $10-20.

You end up with a $20-30 fryer. Good luck.

I'm surprised that anyone is still using the 23 & 32 multi-jet wok burners at all. As you may have guessed, I think they genuinely suck for home brewing. I'm also not too fond of the BG-10 cup type diffuser burners. They work, but they aren't very fuel efficient and the flame level control leaves a lot to be desired. The 6" ring burners and an adjustable 0-15 psi regulator/w high pressure orifice would be my choice.

If you are looking for a burner & stand, the Bayou Classic SQ-14 would be my pick. It's the best bang for the buck and an excellent burner:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Probably not. It appears to be severely underpowered. Here's the one you want IMO:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have three burners (each a different type) and the SQ-14 is by far my favorite. IMO, it's the best all around burner for the typical home brewer. It has plenty of power, has excellent flame level control and it burns efficiently. Good value at $49.95

Last edited by a moderator:
THANK YOU ALL! Since SWMBO kicked me off the stove burners (which were working decent), I have to get outside with a burner. Just wanted to give my gratitude where it's very due. Went round and round in trying to figure out what burner I wanted to get for a 5-10g setup, and finally got myself over here to read up a bit. SQ-14 should be perfect from what I can see in other's posts. Everyone's comments here helped a great deal, and I am ready to make windshield even, as soon as it arrives! $49.97 at amazon is the place too, with the free shipping; best I could find after looking around most of the afternoon.

I was originally headed toward the KAB6 ($100 shipped @ebay if anyone needs), but really don't think I need it at all and would probably just be burning out my propane quicker without reason. So, the SQ-14 is now on the way!

Can I somehow connect my existing 10PSI propane regulator to this? I have a turkey fryer that takes too long to boil. In fact, I'm waiting right now and am getting tired of it.

How did you mount this to a stand? I'm not looking for a complicated brew stand, just something simple.

Thats the same burner as the one used in the SQ-14. I have the SQ-14 and it works great (with a 10 PSI regulator - just make sure you have the right orifice (high pressure). I also have an SP-10 that works well too, though the SQ-14 is a little more controllable.

How long is it taking your turkey fryer to boil? What brand? Any half-way decent fryer should boil 5-7 gallons no problem.

Nope thats the whole burner, stand, and regulator. You can buy the parts separate but that itself is the whole deal. It is the same as a banjo burner in fact I used a banjo burner regulator on mine. It is 11 inches diameter at the studs and it is huge. I had a friend build me a 2' x 2' x 2.5' stand and this exact burner from the previous link I sent and it is the burner we put in this stand. Now the stand that came with it supports 100qt but I wanted something a "Little Stronger"

http://www.agrisupply.com/cooking-supplies-for-cooks/c/5400000/c2c/ln/

Stand 1.jpg

Stand 2.jpg

Stand 3.jpg

Back