Apfelwein fermenting @ 60-62 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slantedbolt

Reaction score
I just started my first EdWort's Apfelwein this weekend. Its fermenting away with an airlock bubble about every 5 seconds. I have it in my basement and it seems to be sitting around 60-62F, atleast thats what my carboy thermometer says. What issues could I run into with it being this cold?

to be honest the only issue I see might be good Apfelwein.

First question is what yeast are you using? Montrachet champagne yeast?

The temp of the actual contents of the carboy are gonna be a bit warmer during fermentation. If the temperature fluctuates and too low you might run the risk of the yeast going to sleep. The fermentation might be a slower at your temps but it will be more thorough thus cleaning up your apfelwein of some off flavors.

Montrachet will ferment down to 59F according to it's datasheet, if that's what you used. I've noticed my cooler fermented apfelwein is much smoother, but it takes quite a bit longer.

My apfelwein with the montrachet yeast fermented the first two weeks around 62, then it stopped bubbling and I thought it was done because it went for a week without doing anything. Then this week it's 70 in the house all the time and it started bubbling again for a couple days. No idea what its really doing as I haven't taken any gravity measurements, was just going to let it sit in there till it cleared then bottle and forget about it for another 2 months or so anyway.

I did use Montrachet champagne yeast My basement stays around 60 in the winter. I do have a sweatshirt on it so that is keeping some heat in.

Thanks for the reassurance.

This apfelwein is amazing... So delicious and goes down so easy. I think I am in love

I have to agree, after SWMBO and I blew through our first batch in record time, we're getting a pipeline going. This recipe is a perfect example of simplicity at its best (and cheapest!)

I'm curious how Red Star Champagne would change the flavor from using Red Star Montrachet. Anyone care to comment?

Red Star champagne yeast makes it super dy; very puckering. I'm on a batch of that right now. I really only like it super cold (live over ice) or back sweetened in the glass. Other than that, the only major taste change I've noticed is when I let some of the yeast get into the glass. That yeast is NASTY! Even a little bit it noticeable.

Red Star champagne yeast makes it super dy; very puckering. I'm on a batch of that right now. I really only like it super cold (live over ice) or back sweetened in the glass. Other than that, the only major taste change I've noticed is when I let some of the yeast get into the glass. That yeast is NASTY! Even a little bit it noticeable.

Wow, not what I was expecting to hear. We're sticking with Montrachet..

Cheers :mug:

Back