Hops Life Expectancy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpinachio

Reaction score
Hey guys, First let me start off by saying this site is great. I have found a lot of useful info on this site, Thanks again. My question is if you buy hops from your LHBS how long do they stay good in your fridge before you should use them? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Keep them moist with non chlorinated water...creek/river/bottled water and I would not reccomend over a week. If you must keep them in the fridge for over a week...wash them every other day with non chlorinated water. Molds and diseases will settle in on them. Best to put them in the ground asap.

Cheers

I'm thinking ctheis is refering to hop rhizomes. As for hops, I've heard they can lose their potency pretty fast, like weeks, so the best bet is to keep them in air tight bags in the freezer. I think they would still be good for maybe a year or so but you would rather use them up before then.

I'm thinking ctheis is refering to hop rhizomes. As for hops, I've heard they can lose their potency pretty fast, like weeks, so the best bet is to keep them in air tight bags in the freezer. I think they would still be good for maybe a year or so but you would rather use them up before then.

Oops - yes -what he said :)

I have kept them in the fridge till the first of Aug .They were a little moldy but came up.Look they got lost in the back at the end of a night of shipping!!! I have kept large quantity's in the cooler until the 1st week of June and had 95% success rate. You should be getting your planting site ready now.I will post some sugestions on this in the next day or 2 Cheers Glen

Back