Using old hops for dryhopping. Pointless??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burro2882

Reaction score
I have some 6 month old hop pellets in my refrigerator. I was thinking about throwing them into secondary with my pale ale. I know they may not have much aroma left to contribute but might there be any off flavors they could give the beer from being kinda old?

Nothing worse than a stale-hop tasting beer. Do yourself a favor and chuck 'em.

Or at least do a hop tea with a few of the pellets to gauge flavor.

Why didn't you freeze them? I have 6month old pellets I use for dry hopping all the time. They're as good as the day I bought them. Freezer good. Fridge bad.

By 6 months old you mean 2008 harvest so they are really 17 months old?

Dry hops should always be chosen for their aroma characteristics. Do they smell good? Do they smell cheesy?

Do they smell bad (cheesy or other off flavor)? Try a few pellets in some hot water and taste the tea or throw one into a tasteless beer and see what happens. I had some old pellets sitting in a fridge for a long time and they were in pretty good shape.

Old hops make beer taste like gross cheese. Really Really old hops taste like nothing. Nothing worse than a beer that tastes like velveeta.

Hops for lambics have to progress past the "cheesy" stage, to where they've basically got no aroma left at all (good or bad).

If the hops don't smell bad, they won't add any bad flavors to the beer. I'm not convinced they're worthy of just being chucked after six months in the fridge; freezer's beer, but fridge is OK. I've used hops older than that, and they're fine.

Hops are harvested once per year. If you chuck them after 6 months, then you will have to go without brewing for the next 6 months until the new crop is ready.

-a.

Hops are harvested once per year. If you chuck them after 6 months, then you will have to go without brewing for the next 6 months until the new crop is ready.

-a.

Yeah, and they were harvested less than 6 months ago, so these are 17 month old hops.

Back