about time for my all brett beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
So here is what I'm thinking

80% pils
10% wheat malt
5% flaked (possibly instant) oats
5% acid malt

2 fermenters
pitching 1/2 with brett c
1/2 with brett a

I have a lot of aged styrian goldings and I'm wondering if this would be a good beer to use them in. Any thoughts?

aged hops arent really necessary with a wild beer that you are innoculating with a culture, just keep the hopping low, although you could always do a brett IPA

Where are you getting brett a? as far as i know that was a vss from wyeast and hasnt been out in a long time,

also keep in mind that the brett c from WL is actually a mixed culture so your experience with it may vary from others

It doesnt say it on the WL site, but if youve ever read this blog
it was found to be multiple brett strains, and reading reports of what people have gotten out of the packs the results are all over the place

Now some will say, well thats what happens with brett, I dont believe this for a second, with the WY packs Ive gotten the same results everytime Ive brewed a the same beer, and its only different when I vary a lot of the conditions i.e. starting pH, temp, anoxic/oxic starting conditions etc, otherwise I pretty much know what Ill get from a particular strain, this is especially so when I use it as the primary yeast

As a commercial example, look at orval, I cant say Ive ever had one that tasted substantially different than another, can you? and they add brett prior to bottling, yet they get the same characteristics from the brett time after time, and they do not blend

I got cheese and vomit from the WL Brett C. Mmmmmmmm.

WL Brett L was excellent though.

I have a starter of Brett B going that hopefully will be ready for Saturday.

I have a starter of Brett B going that hopefully will be ready for Saturday.

I think youll like the Brett B, so far I have to say that one is by far my favorite, and I really really like it in combination with 1968, it produces a very quick fruity/funky beer with great body, i have to make this one constantly because its hard to keep around, even non-funk lovers like it

I think youll like the Brett B, so far I have to say that one is by far my favorite, and I really really like it in combination with 1968, it produces a very quick fruity/funky beer with great body, i have to make this one constantly because its hard to keep around, even non-funk lovers like it

Do you pitch the 1968 at the same time or what is your inoculation schedule? Do you mind posting the recipe? I'm interested in something funky and yours sounds like what I'm looking for.

funny you should ask I posted the recipe here

If you have any questions dont hesistate to ask, I just recently bottled another batch myself and Im really looking forward to it

Funny thing about this beer is that everyone who has tried it, thinks it tastes like something totally different. Ive had two people taste the exact same beer and one think it tastes like coriander and fruit, and another taste banana, clove and pepper. Personally I think it tastes like a fruity english beer with muted funk in the finish, I really like carbing this a bit highish ~2.8vols (for me this is very high!)

Have you had the New Belgium Biere de Mars? Your yeast combination sounds similar to that. I thought that beer tasted like a Fat Tire with a bit of Brett funk.

No I havent had that one yet, the last time I bought la Folie, and it was 15$ I was a bit underwhelmed, especially when there are a few other flanders for half the cost that are superior, mostly because of this I havent tried the other wild offerings

I got cheese and vomit from the WL Brett C. Mmmmmmmm.

I got Tijuana river and vomit with my two all Brett.c 's during fermentation with WLP645, but it went away after a month. It developed Pineapple and passion fruit after two months, but that is starting to fade at month 4.

This was a Amarillo bitter, I just started Carbonating a triple All Brett.C, but it defiantly lost that nasty aroma.

The flavor profile I found was quite underwhelming, my next all Brett will definitely be a blend of C and L.

funny you should ask I posted the recipe here

If you have any questions dont hesistate to ask, I just recently bottled another batch myself and Im really looking forward to it

Funny thing about this beer is that everyone who has tried it, thinks it tastes like something totally different. Ive had two people taste the exact same beer and one think it tastes like coriander and fruit, and another taste banana, clove and pepper. Personally I think it tastes like a fruity english beer with muted funk in the finish, I really like carbing this a bit highish ~2.8vols (for me this is very high!)

Sounds great and follows K.I.S.S. which I usually enjoy! Although, one question. You had both hop additions at 60mins...just wondering what your hopping schedule was. Thanks dude! :mug:

Sounds great and follows K.I.S.S. which I usually enjoy! Although, one question. You had both hop additions at 60mins...just wondering what your hopping schedule was. Thanks dude! :mug:

If you go back and look at the table youll notice that one side (left) is my AG recipe, the other (right side) is an extract equivalent of the recipe, so I only use 60min additions, FWIW I dont think it really matters what you use, as its only for bittering, also just making sure you noticed that this was a 2.5gal batch and had a slightly higher OG than normal, generally I try to keep it around 1050,

Back