Grain Bill for Chocolate/Coffee Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
Ok,I am getting ready to make a Porter with coffee and chocolate.

This is what I am working with so far, but for some reason, the roasted barley just does not seem right.

What do you guys think?

US 2-Row Malt 10 lbs
US Chocolate Malt 1lb 0oz
US Caramel 40L Malt 1lb 0oz
US Flaked Barley 8.00 oz
US Black Malt 4.00 oz
US Roasted Barley 1.60 oz

Here is the rest....

UK Golding 5.5 % 1.00 oz 60 min
UK Fuggle 4.5 % 1.00 oz 30 min

Malto-Dextrine 8.00 oz l
Whirlfloc Tablet
Cold Brewed Coffee +/- 1 oz to secondary

Thanks for looking
T

I don't like Roasted Barley in Porter at any time, but that's my preference. In this case, I think it's especially unnecessary, given that many of the same flavors will be gained from the coffee.

I also think you're doubling up with the Flaked Barley and Maltodextrin. Both provide much the same effect. Add in body contribution from the Crystal malt, and you're going to have a very full-bodied beer. Recommend omitting the Maltodextrin.

Cheers!

Bob

Ok, so one vote for removing the roasted Barley, and the Malto...

anyone else with a suggestion?

Tim

Where's the chocolate flavor coming from? Other than that, I would just second what NQ3X said about the malto and roast barley.

chocolate malt doesn't exactly give you a chocolate flavor, per say....unless you like to eat unsweetened dark chocolate, that is. If you're going for more of a sweet chocolate flavor to balance the coffee, I've seen many a recipe on here using some cocoa powder...never used it myself though. just do a search and you should come up with many "chocolate" recipes.

I've used the Hersey Chocolate powder when I brewed Jamil's Choch. Hazelnut porter recipe and it gave the beer just a hint of chocolate. The recipe called for 8 ounces (the entire container) of the unsweetend cocoa powder 2 minutes left in the boil. I would agree in omitting the maltodextrine

add one pound of coffee malt... Id use more than an ounce of cofffee as well... try a full cup. the flavors will really subside

Ok,not sure where it went wrong but that grain bill posted in the OP is not right.
Here is the correct grain Bill.

US 2-Row Malt 9lb 0oz
US Chocolate Malt 1lb 8oz
US Caramel 40L Malt 1lb 0oz
US Flaked Barley 8.00 oz
US Black Malt 4.00 oz
US Roasted Barley 1.00 oz

UK Golding 5.5 % 1.00 oz 60 min
UK Fuggle 4.5 % 1.00 oz 30 min

Malto-Dextrine 8.00 oz
Whirlfloc Tablet
Cold Brewed Coffee +/- 1 oz to secondary

I will add some info on why I am working with this recipe:

From EdWort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfro21
Hi Ed,

Just wondering why the 1 oz black roasted barley? I thought barley was for the stouts? Thanks!

Jason
The one ounce will add just a touch of some coffee flavor to the porter which will go nicely with it. This is a big beer, lots of body & kinda chewy yet tasty. Something you can nurse for a while and enjoy the full flavors of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird
just looking at that recipe reminds me of my old recipe for the porter I useto use a lot of black patent in my porter but I thought it made it to harsh. Did you have any harsh flavors?? whats the malto dextrin for in this recipe?? I still use N.brewer and cascade I love that combo in a porter. good choice
JJ
The malto dextrin adds a little chewiness to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX1 View Post
Also I would like to make it a Coffee / Chocolate porter. Knowing your beer like no one else, what would you add to achieve this. Would you use coffee or coffee malt? And do you think there is enough chocolate in the beer already to balance with the added coffee.
If you are going to add coffee, I would add cold extracted coffee, use a Brazilian bean, fresh ground. Steep 2 oz of ground coffee in 8 ounce of cooled previously boiled water for 24 hours in a french press.

Add 1 ounce of the coffee extract to your secondary or keg. You can bump the chocolate malt by 8 ounces your first try. Let me know how it goes.

Now I know that this post got a bit long, but I wanted to fill you guys in on where I was coming from.

Tim

If you want to be able to take that first sip and really get "chocolate"....add some cocoa powder per the suggestions above.

also, If you end up using coffee malt, let us know how it works. I have been curious about that stuff, but haven't used it yet.

good luck. It looks pretty good. I think everyone is right to say that you don't need flaked barley and malto-dextrine, but here's what you can do: skip the malto-dextrine until bottling time and if your porter is not chewy enough then you can add a few ounces with your priming sugar. Simple.

I've found that brown malt provides a lot more chocolate flavor than chocolate malt, though this may well be a moot point if you're adding cocoa powder.

Back