Dark Lord Day 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So they want me to pay $10 to have the privilege to spend $16 per bottle on their beer? This has gotten out of hand.

The $10 goes to charity. And I think the set amount of beer you get the opportunity to buy is a case (six bottles). So, that's $1.67 charitable donation per beer. :D

How about 3F spares us dark lord day, produces more of this righteous product that the beer drinking public obviously wants, and we can decide for ourselves which charities we want to contribute to? Yes, I'm bitter because I can't get to dark lord day.

Personally, I think that donating $10 to charity in order to be guaranteed DL beer is better than waiting in line at DLD for hours only to be out of luck. My friends went last year and got screwed. This way you can skip the event if you don't get a ticket. I much prefer the new method.

Skip this year..and have your own next year(and the year after)

18# 2 row
2# munich malt
2# Roasted Barley
1# Chocolate malt
8 oz Flaked Barley
8 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz Crystal 120L
8 oz Black patent malt
8 oz flaked oats
1.5 # honey
.5# molasses

3 oz Chinook @ 60 min shoot for 85 IBU..thats what I have read anyway

Cali yeast(massive starter or yeast cake)

1.123 OG
1.031 FG 13% ABV

I would probably shoot for 153 or 154 mash to keep it from going too dry..
vanilla bean and coffee or espresso in secondary...

The Dark Lord can be made\

J

I did a bit of searching online and worked out what I would percieve....This is such a big beer the amounts could be a bit off..but it probably would be in the ball park..

Jay

I've only had DL once. a friend and I split one bomber. So I had half a bottle of DL. It was the only beer I had that evening

We finished it at around 10:00 pm. The caffeine in that beer kept me awake until 7:30 am the next morning. I called my boss around 6:30 to tell him I wouldn't be in that day.

It was the first time I ever called off work due to drinking ONE beer.

I've only had DL once. a friend and I split one bomber. So I had half a bottle of DL. It was the only beer I had that evening

We finished it at around 10:00 pm. The caffeine in that beer kept me awake until 7:30 am the next morning. I called my boss around 6:30 to tell him I wouldn't be in that day.

It was the first time I ever called off work due to drinking ONE beer.

Slacker! Should have had another and went to work! :)

I am usually sensitive to caffeine and didn't notice in DL, hmm. I only split the bottle 3 ways though so that's 8 oz instead of 12.

I will go if my boy does not have a soccer game that day. He usually does.

Went last year in the evening and was nowhere near getting a bottle. It was on tap all night though.

Got mine! I don't think I'll have anyone coming with me so I hope to be able to meet up with some HBT people there.

They're quickly running out of tickets. People can of course still go and get Dark Lord by the glass ( as well as plenty of other beers) but you have to have a ticket to buy Dark Lord in bottles.

They started the sale at 04:30am CST. Kind of annoying time to start, but whatever. You can still get it on tap at the brewery all day. You just need golden tickets to get bottles. And honestly, you could probably buy bottles off people at the event depending on how many bottles they allow per ticket.

Haven't had the pleasure of tasting any yet but that's about to change.Looking forward to a day of live music, bbq and good beer. I can't think of a better way to kick off the start of warmer weather around these parts!

The $10 goes to charity. And I think the set amount of beer you get the opportunity to buy is a case (six bottles). So, that's $1.67 charitable donation per beer. :D

Let's not forget you get one glass for each ticket as well which has got to be at least a $4-5 value. So paying a premium of $1 a bottle(providing 6 is the quantity allowed) seems reasonable enough to me for a guaranteed amount of bottles without getting shut out.You have to admit it's a pretty good marketing ploy.Selling 2000 tickets in 4 hours has to say something about the quality of the beer if nothing else.Of course back in the 70's when you couldn't buy Coors east of the Mississippi made many people crave it just because you couldn't get it. I know people that took road trips just to buy it.Mostly because they didn't know any better.:D
I'm going with 2 friends and we have 4 tickets between us so depending on the limit I may have some available for sale too at cost of course.

IP, I'll sell you a bottle at cost if you want. It will still be a fun day even without having a ticket to buy bottles.

PM'd you. thanks

Definitely going to plan for next years activities. Too short notice for me to make it this year but sounds like a great weekend. It'd be a nice getway for me and SWMBO

just wondering if anyone would like to do a little tasting / trading of homebrew / commercial brew in person at dark lord day. I will be attending and have extra Kentucky Breakfast Stout 2009, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout 2008, Breakfast Stout, and other available midwest brews for trade.

I am really hoping to try / trade for some relatively fresh Pliny the Elder (and maybe try a sample of the Younger if I am really lucky...) and other Russian River beers.

Also I would love to taste some HBT members homebrew at this day, and possible do a little bit of homebrew trading to try some some different brews. I was planning on bringing my pale ale, ipa, winter warmer (spiced), and some 3-4 month old Ed Worts Apfelwein to share/ trade with other interested people.

Post in this thread or send me a PM if interested and hope to see some other HBT members at Dark Lord Day.

Cheers!

I will be there with a couple of fellow homebrewers. I was thinking about filling a cooler with some beers...but I don't do too many BIG beers and I am afraid after drinking DL all day I won't even be able to taste my Scottish 70/-.

I really wish I could make this, but its a little far for me. Always wanted to try DL too, perhaps another time. If anyone has an extra bottle let me know ;).

Hope everyone has fun!

Anyone brewed a Dark Lord clone that they feel like is close to it? I'm all the way in AZ so no DLD for me, but I'd love to fire up the burner on DLD to brew one.
Maybe someone can bug them for a recipe? :)

I just want to say that I'm jealous of all you lucky bastards going to DLD on saturday! So close, yet so far away...

I'll be picking up something extra good this weekend to drown my sorrows in saturday night since I can't make it this year. I've got a friend moving and a mom having knee surgery this weekend. Luckily I've got The Night Marchers playing live on friday night and some NFL draft to peak in on when I can.

Just picked up Goose Island Red Felt and Naughty Goose bombers...no Dark Lord, but it's a start.

Anyone brewed a Dark Lord clone that they feel like is close to it? I'm all the way in AZ so no DLD for me, but I'd love to fire up the burner on DLD to brew one.
Maybe someone can bug them for a recipe? :)

There is a recipe on the first page of this thread.

True but I'm not sure he's brewed it. I also heard that the FG was even higher than his. I may need to sacrifice (well I'll drink it after the experiment) a couple ounces to get the FG reading, will need to let it degass and warm up though.

Yes, it hasn't been brewed and I can't find anyone who's brewed that recipe so its pure speculation. It also doesn't line up to be enough fermentables to make a 13% ABV stout, much less one that has a FG rumored to be in the 1.050 range.

I hope everyone has a great time tomorrow, I'm trying to work brew day to psuedo honor DL day since I can't make it. I won't be brewing DL, but honoring beer no less.

A friend of mine is a neighbor to a 3F employee. Apparently, Stone Brewing is a guest brewery and will have like 16 different kegs there. One of which will be their 2006 Brandy Barrel Aged Double Bastard Ale. I can't wait to try that!:rockin:

Wow that's cool! I wish I had all day to hang out there, unfortunately I have plans tomorrow evening so I'm gonna get there around 11 and have to leave around 4. I'll just have to get a couple pints early. I never drink more than 3 pints a day on weekends (less on weekdays).

ls2_028AudreyII.jpg

:D

Back