Transferring naturally carbed beer to bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcperilli

Reaction score
Hi All -

I received one of those Mr. Beer kits for Xmas and brewed my first batch 2 weeks ago. I let the batch sit and ferment for 2 weeks and bottled it a few days ago with sugar to naturally carbonate it.

However, I would like to transfer the beer (since there is sediment at the bottom of the Mr. Beer bottles) to a growler. How can I do this? I was thinking just using a sanitized funnel, but will that damage carbonation?

It would destroy carbonation and cause intense oxidation.

Instead when opening the bottles just leave the last 2 ounces or about 1/2 of liquid in the bottle.
It takes a couple pours to get it just right but keep your eye on the beer coming out of the glass, as soon as you see it change (get cloudy, hazy, sediment) tilt up and leave the rest in the bottle.

It would destroy carbonation and cause intense oxidation.

Instead when opening the bottles just leave the last 2 ounces or about 1/2 of liquid in the bottle.
It takes a couple pours to get it just right but keep your eye on the beer coming out of the glass, as soon as you see it change (get cloudy, hazy, sediment) tilt up and leave the rest in the bottle.

I'm guessing Johnny means 1/2 inch, not half the bottle. :D About where the label would end on a regular bottle of beer.

Also, I agree that you shouldn't transfer it. The sediment is mostly just yeast and other proteins. There is no real way to get rid of it when naturally carbing, unless you use these, http://sedexbrewing.com/. Leaving them in your fridge longer will help make this little cake more compact. It's normal though, and nothing to shy away from. It won't hurt you to drink it (it's actually filled with nutrients), so RDWHAHB. Congratulations on your first brew!

Back