Cincinnati Ohio - Bulk Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio-Ed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Jeff, at Paradise Brewing Supplies is organizing a group grain buy from one of his distributors.

He sent an email out to his distribution list of local customers.
I asked if he minded me mentioning it here on HBT.

So... is there any interest?

Ed

EDIT:
List of users that voiced interest;

Ohio-Ed
RevIP
gunner11
Rick500
briegg
VolFan

Edit (4/19/2010):

It appears theres not really as much interst as I thought there might be...

I don't think there's much call for me to organize anything specific for HBT in this situation, so here's what I propose:

If you're interested in participating in the group grain buy, send an email to Jeff at Paradise Brewing Supplies: [email protected]

Paradise has a website, but they are not an on-line retailer. If you want to take a look at it or need a phone number or directions:

http://www.paradisebrewingsupplies.com/

If I can help in any way, I'd be happy to do so... just let me know.

Interest here from Chillicothe. Asked a buddy if he'd want in as well. Any idea what prices would be for full bags yet?

Here is Jeff's message:

I have been approached by some to organize a bulk grain buy. I am seeing if there is any interest out there to try it. This distributor handles many brands and styles of malt not normally available to us. Here is a link to the distributor's website:* http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/home.html
We would be ordering from their Minnesota warehouse, to try and hold down the costs. Paradise has an account there but they only ship on pallets, 40 - #50 or #55 lb bags to each pallet. I have a price list of all the malt they carry and the price varies widely. You will take the price of your choice and add 15% more for shipping, add tax (6.5%) and you have your total price. If you e-mail me with your choice, I can give you a more exact figure of cost.

This is only a preliminary step to see if anyone is interested. The quickness of this order would depend on how fast we can fill a skid of 40 bags.

I have a copy of the price list he mentioned, but I'm not sure he would want me to post it. There is certainly nothing being hidden here... I just didn't ask him if I could post the price list. If you want to take a look at the Website and pick a choice or two (just for an example) I'd be happy to post the individual prices. Or if you want to contact Jeff, I'm sure he would be happy to give you pricing.

This buy is being handled 100% by Paradise Brewing Supplies. They will be handling all the monetary and logistics issues. I am not affiliated... I'm just trying to help him get enough interest to make it worth while and hopefully share a good opportunity with the HBT community.

Ed

I might be interested depending on approximately when the grain would be delivered. I'm in Louisville but make it over to Cincinnati a few times a year. I don't think I'd make the trip just for picking up grain, but if I was already going to be over there, it'd be great.

I too would like the price sheet.
Specifically for 2 row, Vienna, Marris Otter.

Here is the price per pound depending on the total qty we order. #1000 is one flat, #2000 is two flats (I am planning we get one flat and will get a happy surprise if it ends up more)

So, based on Jeff's message (price per pound * sack weight * 15% + 6.5%)

2 Row
Rahr #1000 - .46 #2000 - .42
Briess #1000 - .54 #2000 - .51

Maris Otter
Crisp #1000 - .72 #2000 - .68
Simpsons #1000 - .71 #2000 - .67

Vienna
Global #1000 - .59 #2000 - .55
Weyermann #1000 - .64 #2000 - .60
Briess #1000 - .68 #2000 - .65

So for example... 2 row Rahr (assuming a 50# bag);
.46 * 50 = $23.00 (Product)
23.00 * 15% = $3.45 (shipping)
26.45 * 6.5% = $1.72 (tax)

$28.17 = Total

Here is the price per pound depending on the total qty we order. #1000 is one flat, #2000 is two flats (I am planning we get one flat and will get a happy surprise if it ends up more)

So, based on Jeff's message (price per pound * sack weight * 15% + 6.5%)

2 Row
Rahr #1000 - .46 #2000 - .42
Briess #1000 - .54 #2000 - .51

Maris Otter
Crisp #1000 - .72 #2000 - .68
Simpsons #1000 - .71 #2000 - .67

Vienna
Global #1000 - .59 #2000 - .55
Weyermann #1000 - .64 #2000 - .60
Briess #1000 - .68 #2000 - .65

So for example... 2 row Rahr (assuming a 50# bag);
.46 * 50 = $23.00 (Product)
23.00 * 15% = $3.45 (shipping)
26.45 * 6.5% = $1.72 (tax)

$28.17 = Total

Wow that is steep, I'm paying less than that retail over here. And this place was a little cheaper back in the day (actually a lot), not sure if they are still the same as they used to be, but it's worth a look if you guys are wanting to save some money.

Man if prices stay that high, I might have to stay over here.

Wow that is steep, I'm paying less than that retail over here. And this place was a little cheaper back in the day (actually a lot), not sure if they are still the same as they used to be, but it's worth a look if you guys are wanting to save some money.

Man if prices stay that high, I might have to stay over here.

Maybe we are looking at two different things... The link you supplied looks like a 2row, is $32/50#, you'd then still have to have it shipped and pay taxes on it (I just grabbed the first 2 row I saw, may not be apple to apple)?

Maybe we are looking at two different things... The link you supplied looks like a 2row, is $32/50#, you'd then still have to have it shipped and pay taxes on it (I just grabbed the first 2 row I saw, may not be apple to apple)?

Well I did say it had been awhile since I looked at them. Seems like grain has gone up a bit since I bought it in bulk. I haven't bought any since Austin Homebrew used to sell it for under 30 a sack (I see they are no where near where they used to be now too). Ah, the good old days. Hopefully prices adjust a little before I come back to the States.

Any other brewers in the Cincy area interested in a group grain buy?

I edited the 1st message in this thread with the names of those interested so far.

Ed

too bad this isnt a little closer, im in the canton area and would have been interested in some 2 row...

I'd at minimum be interested in a sack of 2-row at those prices, possibly splitting a sack of Crisp MO and Vienna with my buddy or someone else in the buy? Count me in for a volume of 2 bags (1 full and 2 halves if someone will split with me).

I'm a little surprised there is not more interest in a grain buy in the Cincinnati area.

I pictured us filling Jeff's parking lot and all the confusion as the semi was unloaded... :eek:

I don't think there's much call for me to organize anything specific for HBT in this situation, so here's what I propose:

If you're interested in participating in the group grain buy, send an email to Jeff at Paradise Brewing Supplies: [email protected]

Paradise has a website, but they are not an on-line retailer. If you want to take a look at it or need a phone number or directions:

http://www.paradisebrewingsupplies.com/

If I can help in any way, I'd be happy to do so... just let me know.

Ed

Jeff sent an email that as of 9:00 this morning he had the needed qty and would be placing the grain order today!!

I hope everyone that was interested got in touch with him to get their order in.

Will there be another go this year? I would like to get some base malt.

Wish I had more space to set up a storage area for bulk ingredients and a nice grain mill.

I'd be interested in this as well. I'm from Lexington but am up every other weekend to visit the lady friend. I need to start purchasing in bulk.

From what I've heard Listerman will do a bulk buy just about any time there is demand. Brewtensils (Belmont Party Supply) in Dayton just had a group buy a couple weeks ago. They seem to do it a couple times a year. They had 2 row pale for $35 for a 50# sack. Not too bad, Marris Otter was $45. It may be worth calling a couple places to see when or if they'll do it again. I'd actually like to get it on one this go round too.

Last time the guys at paradise brewing did it. I am sure they would do it again if we could put together enough of an order for a pallet or two. I could use a 55lb bag of crisp Maris otter and a bag of briess two row.

Take a look at the first post in this thread... When we tried this originally there was no where near enough interest to pull it off just for HBT members. I think there were 5 members that replied with serious interest.

Good luck.
Ed

I don't but really want to start. Maybe we can drum up enough interest! I usually just buy a couple of recipes at a time at listermanns, but it would be nice to just have bulk ingredients on hand to brew on a whim.

Fair enough, thought it might be worth another shot. Where does everyone get their bulk grain from then?

I buy most of my bulk grain from Paradise. If you talk to Jeff, the owner, he occasionally puts out an email and fills available pallet space with requests of customers. I'm sure you can buy bulk from Listermann's as well.

I don't mean to discourage a group buy, just sayin, there wasn't a lot of interest before.

Thanks Ed. I'll have to check out Paradise next time I'm in town. If you don't mind me asking, how much is a 50 or 55 pound bag of 2-row from Paradise?

I would be up for a group buy if enough are interested and I also buy in bulk from Paradise, he has given me $1/lb on the last few sacks I have bought from there.

I'm in Columbus and would get in on a group buy if it was worth the savings. Would probably need to be pretty good of savings since I would have to drive down.

Back