Screw it, I'm brewing....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
..I'm off, I'm bored, I have a delivery of grain sitting in front of me, and a freezer full of hops, specifically the warrior hops that jsut came from North Country.

Hmmm...what uses Warrior hops?.

Pliny The Elder!

A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.25
Anticipated OG: 1.075 Plato: 18.12
Anticipated SRM: 6.4
Anticipated IBU: 278.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
86.8 11.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
1.9 0.25 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
5.7 0.75 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
5.7 0.75 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 40.1 MH
2.75 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.40 146.4 90 min.
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 20.4 90 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 37.8 45 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 33.9 30 min.
2.25 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
Cali Ale (Safale-56)

Dude said:
..I'm off, I'm bored, I have a delivery of grain sitting in front of me, and a freezer full of hops, specifically the warrior hops that jsut came from North Country.
Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 40.1 62 min.
2.75 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.40 146.4 90 min.
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 20.4 90 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 37.8 45 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 33.9 30 min.
2.25 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 0.0 0 min.
Wouldn't you want to up the Chinook to 2.75 oz. to balance out the Warrier? Don't sell yourself short on the hops Dude.
;)

Dude said:

Hmmm...what uses Warrior hops?.

Pliny The Elder!

Hellz yeah.

:rockin:

RichBrewer said:
Wouldn't you want to up the Chinook to 2.75 oz. to balance out the Warrier? Don't sell yourself short on the hops Dude.
;)

I don't know why promash made that 62 minutes. That chinook addition is supposed to be mash hops!

I copied this recipe exactly from Vinnie Cilurzo's notes, so the recipe is spot on Pliny.

Getting ready to sparge now.....

Dude, I am glad you have the ability to look around you, see the options and take the course of action that best suits the givens of the situation. When there is grain at the door it is time to brew. I will be interested in the results with the warrior hops. They might be a good addition to my Indigenous Pale Ale.

Have a good day.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Were the Warrior meant to be pellets?

Yep!

While the grain sat in the mash, I went to the beer store (Bon Vivant) to pick up my case of Hop Rod and the DFH Golden Shower. I had two bottles of that reserved but the owner talked me into getting a very interesting beer (2 bucks cheaper, so I was happy). It is a belgian Double IPA tripel, made by Chouffe. I can't wait to try this--alas it will have to wait a few more weeks until SwAMi gets back. I'm really excited to try this one--a tripel, like Chimay, and a double IPA made with American Amarillo, tomahawk and Saaz hops? WICKED!!!!!

Brewpastor said:
Dude, I am glad you have the ability to look around you, see the options and take the course of action that best suits the givens of the situation. When there is grain at the door it is time to brew. I will be interested in the results with the warrior hops. They might be a good addition to my Indigenous Pale Ale.

Have a good day.

BP, I'm excited about the warrior too. Can't wait to use them, and try the results!

I may have to brew tomarrow. I've been off of work with cracked ribs for 7 days now and going nutz. I just need to figure out who I can have come over and do the lifting for me
:ban:

Dude said:
I don't know why promash made that 62 minutes. That chinook addition is supposed to be mash hops!

I copied this recipe exactly from Vinnie Cilurzo's notes, so the recipe is spot on Pliny.

Getting ready to sparge now.....
Ah. I see. Now this is looking interesting.

sinopecsales said:
Sinopec Sales Co., Ltd. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sinopec Corp. Entrusted by Sinopec Corp., the Company is mainly in charge of the sales and management of refined oil products and other petroleum products. Meanwhile, the Company also administers the personnel, property and assets of all branch oil companies.
Do they sell beer? If so I'm in! :rockin:

Baron von BeeGee said:
The same people that made Ron Popeil rich?
Oh I know who you are talking about. The people who forward E-mails because it says at the bottom they will have bad luck if they don't. (Or good luck if they do)

Sorry Dude. I think we are getting :off:

Dude said:
Pumbaa, when's this damn party (your sig)?

You've been saving cases of homebrew for what, 6 months? Is my invitation in the mail? :p

June 10th 06 . . .

let me change my flyer and I'll post a copy in the gatherings section . . .

And of course you're invited, You gonna come up home for it?

Pumbaa said:
June 10th 06 . . .

let me change my flyer and I'll post a copy in the gatherings section . . .

And of course you're invited, You gonna come up home for it?

Pffff....I wish bro, I wish!

I will look you up though when I get back to Milwaukee. We actually stay there for a few days every year. My Mom lives on Waverly over by the lake. We usually catch a Brewer game once a year.

UGH...as soon as I get all cocky about my efficiency, it SUCKS. I got like 65% on this batch, TOTALLY not understanding why. I'm wondering if when I recirculated I bored some holes in the grain. Oh well, looks like I boil longer.

Oh darn. RDWHAHB.

YEP...

I should be at about 1.054 pre-boil (without corn sugar), I was at 1.048. I boiled it down a little bit, now If I am still low before flameout I'll up the addition of the corn sugar by another 1/4 lb. No big thang.

SwAMi75 said:
Oh. Well then, I stand corrected.

The only other possibility is that you are a crappy brewer. :D

Seriously though, what base malt did you use? Have you used it before?

I used the Halcyon from the recent shipment. I've never used it before.

Plus, it also isn't helping matters that it is drier than a popcorn fart outside right now. Our RH is 23%. I've boiled off 2 gallons in an hour. :eek:

Dude said:
I used the Halcyon from the recent shipment. I've never used it before.

Plus, it also isn't helping matters that it is drier than a popcorn fart outside right now. Our RH is 23%. I've boiled off 2 gallons in an hour. :eek:

Probably not, but I wonder if the grain itself might be a factor? I recall reading that RR uses the "cheap" Rahr 2-Row for Pliney.

The quick boiloff should be a good thing, no?

My Mom lives on Waverly over by the lake.

You're a Bayview native? $$

I work at te firehouse over on Chase and Euclid (1st and Oklahoma) so I'm in that area alot. I might be getting a temp transfer over to 8th and Hayes soon (8th and Lincoln) but we'll see what Admin wants to do. Since they got me out acting out of title all the time anyways and the boss there is going on 120 days of Military leave it would make sense to put me over there . . . but since it makes sense it probably wont happen :p

** Edit **
NM, she's a East Towner . . . unless she's up on the one up in the North Shore

my 2 cents (give or take a penny), are you using standerdized numbers for the malts? some seem on the high side, i rate crystal at 1.030, and corn sugar at 1.040, i know they are basically means (2-row is like 1.033-1.036) its probably neither hear nor there...just a thought.

Dude said:
You think it's dry there? If you get stationed in Colorado you will know what dry is. Today the Denver area the RH is 20% and the dry weather hasn't even started yet.
On the plus side: Summer evenings are fantastic here. It cools off a bit and the dry air makes it perfect for being out on the patio either at your house or your favorite establishment. :)

RichBrewer said:
You think it's dry there? If you get stationed in Colorado you will know what dry is. Today the Denver area the RH is 20% and the dry weather hasn't even started yet.
On the plus side: Summer evenings are fantastic here. It cools off a bit and the dry air makes it perfect for being out on the patio either at your house or your favorite establishment. :)

Here's to hoping.....Sounds like a dream.

Well, Pliny the Bastard (EDIT, wrong gender) is done. Chilled, pitched, and ready to rock.

10 ounces of hops in this one.
Here's the bottom of the kettle:

CRIKEY!
Dsc03829.jpg

I'm glad this is done. Turned out to be a long brew day because of the efficiency problem, turns out I actually had to dilute with some water when all was said and done. Gravity is sitting at 1.074, as targeted.

Damn its good to be a gangster.

Fer****sake, you didn't let your wort touch that non-food-grade plastic thingy, did you??! :D

Looks good man, about a week and a half and I get to brew again! Don't forget to update your sig, f00!

RichBrewer said:

You think it's dry there? We're at 7% and haven't hit dry season yet either ;). It gets dry in NC? I was there in July once; just a weeeeeee bit humid. But then there was that time in Orlando in June. WTF? You end up getting accustomed to about anywhere you live I guess though.

Pumbaa said:
You're a Bayview native? $$

I work at te firehouse over on Chase and Euclid (1st and Oklahoma) so I'm in that area alot. I might be getting a temp transfer over to 8th and Hayes soon (8th and Lincoln) but we'll see what Admin wants to do. Since they got me out acting out of title all the time anyways and the boss there is going on 120 days of Military leave it would make sense to put me over there . . . but since it makes sense it probably wont happen :p

** Edit **
NM, she's a East Towner . . . unless she's up on the one up in the North Shore

Not exactly sure where all those places are, but she lives right by Brady St., also near the Art Museum. I used to know Milwaukee and surrounding area quite well, but 15 years and lots of dead brain cells will take that away from ya. :mug:
We frequent a sushi restaurant on Prospect every time we go. Great place.
I'll PM you if we have plans to go back to brew city anytime soon. Love to tip a few with ya!

Bjorn Borg said:
my 2 cents (give or take a penny), are you using standerdized numbers for the malts? some seem on the high side, i rate crystal at 1.030, and corn sugar at 1.040, i know they are basically means (2-row is like 1.033-1.036) its probably neither hear nor there...just a thought.

I use standard numbers from promash. I used generic "English 2-row" for this recipe, as I didn't have exacts for halcyon. I suppose that could have something to do with it. When I was putting the recipe together it did occur to me only 11 lbs. of grain for a 1.075 brew was on the low side. Good call, but I don't know how to fix it!

Is there an 11 lb minimum for an order of hops from them? Their site says 11lb, then under that it says Bags $/ lb. It doesn't say if you can order just 1 lb or not.

Latest posts

Back