Where to get my keg filled in West Michigan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a new fridge for a kegerator, and want to fill my ke gup soon. Too soon for my homebrew, actually, so I wonder if I can fill it up at a nearby brewery. Can anyone tell me if there is a brewery in Grand Rapids area that will fill my keg?

I'd travel to TC if need be.

Call Founders brewery in Grand Rapids and see what they can do. I don't live in MI, but have visited and they seemed like pretty laid back people who would be up for this.

Anyone know how much I might expect to pay for this much beer? This is the first time I've contemplated filling a keg from a brewery.

Anyone know how much I might expect to pay for this much beer? This is the first time I've contemplated filling a keg from a brewery.

It depends on which style you choose, The smaller breweries will charge more for there specialty brews.Go to there websites and pick what youy want then email or phone them and ask the price.

I called a few places. Michigan Brewing Company does it and it costs I think $40 per keg (maybe $44). They got some tasty beers, but a bit of a drive. I maybe could talk a friend into having one of his kegs filled on his way up.

Dark Horse will with some caveats. They need 3 days notice, and not all their beers are available that way. They range in price from $50 to $58 I think she said. depending on gravity/style. Some seasonal might not be available. This is not likely an option for me because of the wait times. Too much travel involved to "maybe" get it filled.

Still waiting to hear back from Founders...

yeah the 5 gallon sanke's are 1/6 barrels. They make tall one's like we have and then short fat one's to. I think another name is a pony keg. The regular kegs you get are 1/2 barrels (15.5gal) so a 1/6th barrel is 1/3 of that at ~5gallons.

I called a few places. Michigan Brewing Company does it and it costs I think $40 per keg (maybe $44). They got some tasty beers, but a bit of a drive. I maybe could talk a friend into having one of his kegs filled on his way up.

Dark Horse will with some caveats. They need 3 days notice, and not all their beers are available that way. They range in price from $50 to $58 I think she said. depending on gravity/style. Some seasonal might not be available. This is not likely an option for me because of the wait times. Too much travel involved to "maybe" get it filled.

Still waiting to hear back from Founders...

If you end up going to MBC let me know maybe we can meet up there.

Back