Orange blossom vs alfalfa honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psi3000

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am going to be making a Blue Moon Clone soon. The recipe calls for 2.5 lbs of orange blossom honey. I can not find this anywhere. I have 5 lbs of alfalfa honey. If I use the alfalfa what differences can I expect, if any?

probably none, especially if your going to add any heat to the honey. Honey usually ferments out completely in beer so you may or may night get a hint of anything.

Personally I'd go with a candi sugar or something less expensive for a Belgian.

I really can't see Blue Moon using honey, 2.5lb at that! But I agree with z987k, you don't really need the honey because it will ferment out and the boil will ruin the it's aroma. However, you do have 5lb of alfalfa, so you could just dump it in at the beginning of the boil, this will leave some flavor in the finished beer and could make it interesting.

The difference will be minor. Honey variations are more noticeable in meads, but toss in malt & hops and they fade into the background.

Back