I am bad with water chemistry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pabloj13

Reaction score
I use Durham, NC city water treated with 1/4 Campden tablet to remove chloramine.
pH - 7.5
Ca - 4.8
Mg - 2.1
Hardness - 22
Na - 29
BiCarb - 28
Sulfate - 46
Chloride - 12

I have tried several of the water chemistry spread sheets and just am terrible at it. I haven't been adding anything, but I think I need to get the Calcium up for sure. Any other changes I need to make? It varies by beer color, right?

Great water! Yes, you should add more calcium. The recommendations of the Water Chemistry Primer are appropriate for your water. Do recognize that you will not be able to brew a great dark beer with that water without adding alkalinity. Pickling lime is a very good way of adding alkalinity, but it requires careful measurement.

If you're really that bad with chemistry and can't figure out how to use one of the sheets like Bru'n Water, you're probably SOL.

Great water! Yes, you should add more calcium. The recommendations of the Water Chemistry Primer are appropriate for your water. Do recognize that you will not be able to brew a great dark beer with that water without adding alkalinity. Pickling lime is a very good way of adding alkalinity, but it requires careful measurement.

If you're really that bad with chemistry and can't figure out how to use one of the sheets like Bru'n Water, you're probably SOL.

Thanks, Martin. I don't know why it is so daunting to me. I have a Ph.D. in Pharmacology, but chemistry was never a strong suit of mine. :drunk:

So, since I am batch sparging, I probably don't have to worry too much about sparge acidification, right? My sparge is pretty quick. I think I figured the rest of it out, for the most part.

Back