Grain mill roller gap setting? What should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhem

Reaction score
I just got my Barley Crusher grain mill. :D

I'll be brewing partial mash BIAB with 5-7 lbs of grain. Previously my conversion efficiencies have been low with standard milling so I want to mill the grain finer.

Should I double mill at standard 1.0mm roller setting or single mill at say 0.5mm or 0.75mm? Which would be best? I need to achieve >70% efficiency using BIAB method!

I generally just do one pass. I don't gap my mill so I don't have a number for you, just set it tight and judge the outcome from how the grist looks. I wouldn't hesitate to set at 0.5mm.

No way would I set it to .020 when the factory setting is .039. I would use it as is, then adjust later if you feel your efficiency isn't where you want it. I would double check the factory setting.

I got 75%+ with .035 on my old Barley Crusher.

Use a credit card to set the gap. That will put you real close to .036" (.9mm) And condition your grains prior to milling. This should give you a wonderful crush.

For good information on grain conditioning, take a look at http://braukaiser.com/wiki

Thanks for the information. Grain conditioning is interesting. That is something I'll definitely do once I go to a mash tun. I think dry crushing will be fine using BIAB. I may try going down to 0.03" and give it a shot!

What about milling wheat? I'm doing an American Wheat this weekend and using White Wheat Malt. Can I mill it the same as barley?

Use a credit card to set the gap. That will put you real close to .036" (.9mm) And condition your grains prior to milling. This should give you a wonderful crush.

For good information on grain conditioning, take a look at http://braukaiser.com/wiki

+1 to all of that... that's exactly what I do and the crush is always mad rock star like :rockin:

Back