Hops in Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
As my wife was throwing together a pot of hearty garlic and veggy soup last night i had the idea to toss in a couple dry pellets of hops.

I did not do it though. How do you think this would make, say a minestrone soup, taste?

I have tried smoking hops. The effect was OK, but id made my pee smell like Budweiser. And no, I'm not joking.

orfy said:
Try it with a couple of hop cones first.
It'd try it in something a bit sweeter first.

Hop icecream any one?

Actually that is not a half bad idea orfy! Hmmmm. Now my wheels are turning. This could actually be very good if done right.

As far as the hops in the soup, I'd only use whole leaf and take them out when you reach the level of what you'd want (as in the hops bag idea mentioned above). I'd say if you did, to use something earthy and herbal rather than one of the citrusy varieties. And lowest AAU's you have. One of the conundrums I am facing with beer in general in cooking is the bitterness component it lends. In many foods, bitterness (from any source) can easily overwhelm the dish.

Low AA hops, whole flower and be prepared to remove them. Since the gravity of a soup is close to 1.000, the bitterness will come on quickly.

Had some steamed fresh hops in a salad once, not bad, but the cook didn't know what kind they were. This is someone who has 9 types of salt.

Wow, hop ice cream sounds delicious. I had some basil ice cream at a Restaurant in Germany, Burg Lichtenburg... Man, its was great! I bet hop ice cream would be amazing... with some fresh blueberries and strawberries...

david_42 said:
Had some steamed fresh hops in a salad once, not bad, but the cook didn't know what kind they were. This is someone who has 9 types of salt.

Where in the world was this? Mighty creative putting hops in salad. And was it the cook who had 9 types of salt or you?

Back