Does stir plate lead to long active fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I have done my last few batches with a new stir plate and it seems like each batch has been active for much longer than normal. One in particular is really crazy. I used Wyeast Ardennes 3522 on a Belgian strong ale clone and even after racking to a secondary and 2+ weeks after brewing I see activity. I even have a large yeast cake in the secondary (which is also new to me). It could be other variables like the yeast, or improvements in my brew day techniques, better crush on my grains, or better temperature control, but the stir plate starter is one common variable.

Did anyone notice longer activity on fermentation when they started to use starters with a stir plate?

Nope.

I've pitched straight from white labs vial, straight from wyeast smack pack, made a starter & swirled, made a starter on a stir plate, pulled harvested yeast out of my fridge and direct pitched, made a starter out of harvested yeast ..............

I haven't noticed any visible differences between methods. Starter might take off a few hours sooner but that's about it. Never noticed more than a 12 hour lag in any of the other methods. I haven't even been able to tell the difference in final gravity or taste to be honest.

Odd. I have an IPA and a British ale also going now and they were active longer than my usual fermentation time. Must be some other variables in my process. I've also noticed more severe foaming issues and have had to use fermcap with my 6g BetterBottle. I thought the first time was just the Belgian yeast but even the other "more normal" yeast strains were giving off a thicker and more pronounced krausen.

Oh well. As long as it turns out good it's no big deal. I was just wondering what I did to cause this.

Did anyone notice longer activity on fermentation when they started to use starters with a stir plate?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely yes. Longer and more vigorous fermentation. Better beer. Montanaandy

Back