Lagering in ale temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorno_b

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I brewed an octoberfest lager and I dont have the equipment to put it in lager temps. I heard it is ok to lager at ale temps. my question is, how long should I let it sit in secondary?
Thanks, :mug:

dorno, I'd do a search on this. I had a similar question and found lots of great info floating around on this board. I ended up buying a temp regulator for my freezer so I can be sure I have the proper temp. But you could easily build a swamp cooler or something similar in your bathtub to keep the temps down a bit.

You should have used a Kolsch Yeast or just made it an ale. Its never a good idea to use a yeast outside its preferred heat range. Your going to get some wierd flavors.

You're just going to end up with a good beer.that's basicly an ale. The temp of.the.fermentation is what dramatically changes the flavor. So i would say wait about 2 weeks and you should be good to go. Not ideal. But it will still taste good. It.s been done before. Relax. Don't worry. Have a home brew

By lager, do you mean chill to ~34 F and age? Lagers typically ferment at 48-55F for several weeks and then are lagered just above freezing for several weeks or longer.

If you did ferment with lager yeast in the proper range but don't have the ability to chill further, you can still make a good lager, but it will take longer to clear (several months). It might end up a little fruity from suspended yeast. If you fermented warmer than the recommended, it will definitely be fruity/estery, even if it does clear.

Steam beer is a basic lager fermented at room temperature. It is an aquired taste. However, you're doing an Octoberfest Lager? I would have to agree that it will be like an Ale in the finish. Without the proper temperature control the Lager flavoring won't be brought out properly. This in no way means the beer will be bad!!!!! It might turn out amazing!!!! :mug:

Please let me know how it turns out.

I got an Octoberfest kit. So if the directions did not call for Lagering and I don't think the kit had lager yeast in it is it really an Octoberfest or is it really an ale?

If it was a kit yeast, then it was more than likely an ale yeast. If it did not stress that you have to lower temperatures for fermentation, then it is an ale yeast. You have yourself a nice fall ale! :mug:

mine was a kit as well and it had lager yeast in it. but on the directions inside it said that you can lager at ale temps. But like he said it will prolly just taste different.

mine was a kit as well and it had lager yeast in it. but on the directions inside it said that you can lager at ale temps. But like he said it will prolly just taste different.

I bet it will have a nice crisp bite due to lager yeast at ale temp. IF it in fact is a Lager yeast. This might be a good complement to the recipe. Either way it sounds fascinating and I want a bottle.:mug:

So how long do u think i should let it sit in secondary? since its not in lagering temp should i let it sit longer?

So how long do u think i should let it sit in secondary? since its not in lagering temp should i let it sit longer?

When I made my steam beer I let it sit in primary for about 2 weeks. Then I let it sit in the secondary for 3 weeks.

It's really up to you!:mug:

Back