Pasta/Grain Mill.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Worth a go, but I'd say a no go.
Ya never know till ya try!

millek8.jpg

What didn't work? Couldn't get the crush right? I though about trying this out (since you always seem to find pasta makers at garage sales for like $3), but never got around to it.

There's 1 set of adjustable roller but they are polished smooth. The other 2 sets are offset cutters again smooth so there's no bite on the grain and it's not pulling it through.

I tried as well Orfy and spent an hour fashioning a hopper out of scrap lumber, I suspected the polished rollers would be a problem and as you experienced no bite. I was brainstorming for a way to rough them up in a somewhat uniform manner since I got this one for just a few quid but haven't yet figured out a good method. Sure would be nice to find a way to use this though.

A dremel type tool would do it, use a guide on the other roller. I reckon you could do it without taking it apart.
I don't want to risk it if it doesn't work due to the pasta machine still being used for pasta. If it works I'll sacrifice it.

A hammer and cold chisel, whack it a couple thousand times. What the hell, the point of a hobby is to spend time, it ought to take only an hour or so. Or use an air chisel. Or clamp the chisel in a vise grip, make it into a "knurling hammer". Doing one roller would probably suffice.

Are those cheap pasta rollers built with gears to drive both rollers? My tortilla press/grain mill has slick 3" aluminm rolls, with gears, and works great. I may try it without the gears, they are so poorly cast the noise is b-a-d. Smaller rollers need knurling, larger rollers need neither gears nor knurls. I'll try the cast iron pasta roller with the slick geared bronze rolls with a sample this weekend when next I brew. $7 at Salvation Army- do you think they would have sold it to me if they knew I was gonna make alcohol with it?

I have a pasta machine gathering dust in the cupboard. Have an angle grinder. Will wait until it gets dark tonight (for the spark show) and let 'er rip!

I LOVE POWER TOOLS!!! ...and the smell of two stroke :rockin:

What about making a sleeve over the smooth roller, like cheese cloth or silicone?

Duct tape? the non-sticky side may be sticky enough.

how about a condom? The non-lubricated ones.

I'd try this but I don't have a pasta maker, or condoms like that^.
Matt

Back