What Hops Should I buy in Bulk???!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Alright, I'm planning an order to HopsDirect.com, but I don't want to buy just one kind of hop.

I'm thinking 1lb of cascades

and

1 lb of something else.

What do you think I should buy for the something else. I want a good universal hop that I can use in different styles.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
J

Yep. Hallertau or Tett are good neutral hops and will make a good crowd pleasing (non-hoppy) beer.

Fuggles is another good one if you like english and brown ales.

Since you have cascade, I would go with Fuggles too.

Unless you are a hop head, then magnum or chinook.

Glacier is becoming my new favorite. It is a medium/high alpha hop with a very mellow flavor and aroma.

willamette/fuggle is good (one or the other), then i'd say either nugget or magnum for heavy AA. I recently ordered 4 lbs from them, and if i had it to do over again... errr.. when i order again, either way. I'll get either or maybe both Saaz and Goldings for use in Belgian Ales i'm planning to brew soon.

ultimately i guess it depends on what you like to drink/ what you plan on brewing.

My pound of centennial from hopsdirect blew me away.

I got cascade, centennial, columbus, and amarillo. The centennial's aroma was by far more inviting than any of the others.

But, if you want flexibility in brewing, I'd say Willamette would be a cheap, relatively acceptable substitute for various european beers. You could just up how much cascade you use in pale ales and IPAs.

I've become a fan of Crystal. Use in mainly in Rogue Brutal Bitter and you can use it where you would Saaz and anywhere you want a nice floral hop. Then treat yourself to a third pound since it is so cheap now - Magnum.

Ok ok.

Alright, like I said before I want the most variable hop.

I'm thinking about Willamette and Cascade.

Thanks for giving the styles and such. I mainly brew APA, Brown's, and Porters.

Do yall think I'll be able to use the Willamette's in all of these styles?

Ok ok.

Alright, like I said before I want the most variable hop.

I'm thinking about Willamette and Cascade.

Thanks for giving the styles and such. I mainly brew APA, Brown's, and Porters.

Do yall think I'll be able to use the Willamette's in all of these styles?

Yeah, I think you'll manage.

Hopsdirect is great, ain't it? I just ordered five pounds from them: Cascade, Willamette, Saaz, Fuggles and Chinook. Should give me the versatility to brew a lot. American, British, Belgian, etc.

Well I still think I'm going to go with pellets just b/c they last longer in my freezer, but if I bought fresh hops, I would definitely go with hopsdirect as well.

Well, I just placed my order.

1 lb Cascade Pellets
1 lb Willamette Pellets

GREAT DEALS!!!

I think now that I have those Willamette's, I'm going to brew a stout!

Well, I just placed my order.

1 lb Cascade Pellets
1 lb Willamette Pellets

GREAT DEALS!!!

I think now that I have those Willamette's, I'm going to brew a stout!

How much was shipping out of curiosity?

i ordered from hopsdirect last week and i think my shipping on two lbs was ~$12 from washington st. to mississippi.

none of my emails for hopsdirect have ever said. I think they just say it costs what it costs and if you need a specific answer on the shipping price you have to call them.

none of my emails for hopsdirect have ever said. I think they just say it costs what it costs and if you need a specific answer on the shipping price you have to call them.

Yeah, I think you're right.

Yup, same experience here. But it's always been a very reasonable amount.

Shoot, If they charge me what I paid for the hops for shipping I'd still be getting a good deal on hops.

My lhbs sells cascade pellets for $3 oz.

they seem to charge exactly what UPS charges. UPS calculator shows $11.95-12.51 from 98935 to 77001 zip codes for 3-4 lbs UPS Ground. I did 3-4lbs because if the package is 2.01 lbs., UPS charges you for 3 lbs., etc.

I ordered from HD a week ago. 1lb amarillo, 1lb cascade, 1lb magnum, 1lb willamette.

I ordered on Monday, they showed up on Friday in Colorado on veterans day week.

$10.78 UPS shipping
Total 48.78

A couple days ago I ordered Organic Fuggles and organic Hallertau Tradition from them. I only wanted to order two pounds and I wanted to have hops that were universal. I find fuggles very universal with ales and H. Traditon universal with Lagers mostly, but with ales too.

Nice, going to order soon (but probably not until early-mid december). Prices won't go up/they won't switch to the 2009 harvest hops, will they?

Got mine tonight and I'm getting my FoodSaver Friday! Sounds like I've got about 32 little FoodSaver Baggies to make on Friday night.

I just ordered 4 lbs of pellet hops just now. I hope shipping isn't over 11 dollars. I plan to make some IPA's so I got cascade, centennial, chinook, and I bought the Williamette for a stout substitute (only 7 dollars). All four were only 36 dollars and if shipping is around 11 dollars, that is only 47 dollars for 4lbs of hops. Dats a lota hops.

Just got my latest order from Hopsdirect: 1lb each of Czech Saaz, Hallertau, Cluster, Cascade, and Spalter Select. I should be set for a good long time now!

I just ordered a pound of summit for $15.99....thought that was a great deal, especially considering the bittering power of summit..and the great aroma. A very versatile hop. I am so sick of cascade hops...... simcoe, chinook, summit......high alpha goodness

Latest posts

Back