Lagering Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hurls

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my first lagering attempt. Primary fermentation is complete and I have transfered to a secondary for 8-12 weeks of lagering. I have 2 questions on this process:

1) I'm having trouble getting my fridge to hold a temp in the low 30's. I'm using a temp controler, but when I set it to 34 degrees the fridge never gets down lower than 35 and to maintain that the compressor is running all the time. I don't want to burn out my fridge just trying to get 1 beer right.

Does any one have experience in lagering at temps just under 40 degrees (I can hold 37-39 without running all day long)? How did things turn out?

This is slightly higher that the 32-36 reccommended, but I think it will be ok. Does the slightly higher temp mean lagering with take longer / shorter?

2) I know I shouldn't rush the process, but I will want to free up some carboy space before the 12 week mark. Is it ok to transfer into a corny keg and finish the lagering there? I don't have the keg system yet, but I plan on getting one very soon.

1) I lagered around 40 and had good results, but I made doppelbock, baltic porter, and schwartzbier, which I think would be more forgiving than if you have something lighter like a pilsner. But I understand even in theory 40 works. As far as it taking longer, I don't know for sure but I just think that whatever temperature you have it at you have to go by taste and not by the calendar.

2) It shouldn't make any difference at all.

Depending on the fridge, i'm assuming it's a mini fridge, you may be able to do better on the temp. Many have an adjustment (in the thermostat housing) that will make them go a lot colder.

Back